The stupid exhaust question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would a TBI 350 sound like with no muffler? lol.. goin old school and letting the cat control the sound

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'd be real loud. just my opinion but I think its sound like garbage if it was open after the cat. Is straight pipe it at minimum, maybe 18" glasspacks

Anvil 14

Reaction score
I bought a '94 Suburban 2500 with a 454 6 months ago. In order to pass the emissions test here I had to replace the cat. But I was checking out the exhuast and I found the Y pipe flowed into the muffler then into the cat.Every other vehicle I've ever owned/worked on had the cat before the muffler.What would be the factory reason for this? If I put dual exhaust on this vehicle shouldn't I put the cats infront of the muffler? The stock muffler is HUGE!
Thanks

jriv454

Reaction score
The cat was probably put in the back for space because it's so huge,it needs to be up front to get hot to do it's job.When I got my 91 GMC K2500 454 , it also had the cat behind the muffler. I bought a magnaflow cat and put it up front before the muffler and it passes smog every time for the past two times I had to get a smog inspection.

ps don't forget to change your o2 sensor if it's the original.

Last edited:

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i used to run just the cat and a tip turnd down and it sounded badass. loud but the tip made the sound a load better then just it cut off. now i have a cb extreme dumped but im depeationg getting glasspack from summit and stock tail pipe with gutted cat or to gut the cat and run tail pipe from my cb extreme. what should i do? not trying to spend a lot on this

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think i saw the answer somewhere,. but cant remember
i have a 95 k1500, if i go with vortec heads on it, i should get headers for a 95, not a vortec right?

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Do Blazers and 1500's sound the same? (with the same engine of course)

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
i think i saw the answer somewhere,. but cant remember
i have a 95 k1500, if i go with vortec heads on it, i should get headers for a 95, not a vortec right?
The tbi headers will fit on vortec engines and are cheaper so I'd say yes. You will have to plug the egr port on your intake manifold though

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Do Blazers and 1500's sound the same? (with the same engine of course)
With the same engine and exhaust setup I don't see why they would sound different outside. It may sound a little louder inside the blazer beacuse the muffler is mounted under the passenger compartment vs under the bed in a truck