The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My radiator is leaking so I'm going to replace it (along with upper and lower hoses). I'm looking on RockAuto and I see two radiators - Spectra CU1693 (1" thick) and OSC 1693 "enhanced" (1.25" thick). Otherwise they are described to be similar...will they both fit, or which would be the way to go? Or maybe you'd suggest a different brand? They're all pretty close in price (except AC Delco $$$).
Thanks!
They should both work, but I'd recommend getting it locally unless you don't plan on keeping it. To much money and time lost if it's bad or damaged. I spend plenty of money at rock auto but warranty shipping is all on you if there's a problem. And a radiators size is more money to ship back and rather fragile to ship.

JohnBravo

Reaction score
Thank you for replying...glad this thread is called "stupid questions" because after reading a bit I came to the conclusion either would work, nevertheless I appreciate your input. I didn't consider shipping so I will buy locally.

flintlock

Reaction score
My power steering pump is the source of my whine that increases with rpms. What specifically makes it whine? Bad bearings in the pump, air bubbles, something with the pulley/shaft?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for replying...glad this thread is called "stupid questions" because after reading a bit I came to the conclusion either would work, nevertheless I appreciate your input. I didn't consider shipping so I will buy locally.
Yea I had an Ac delco P/s pump go out after a couple months so I learned then. And when I looked up radiator reviews almost all the complaints were from shipping damage. Then when I needed one for the other truck it was Tuesday evening and I was taking it on a 500 mile trip Thursday morning...

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question about the PCM re: engine swap. I am budgeting for a 383 crate engine, most likely a carb set up in my '97 rcsb. I am not very familiar with the compatibility and/or needs of the PCM in these trucks as it relates to EFI to carb, egr etc... Are there any concerns, dos/donts I should be aware of installing a non controlled set up? I will also swap the 4l60e our for a 4l80e at the same time along with full exhaust, elect fan and a few other bolt on related stuff.

92_Bahama

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Chevy K1500 with a TBI 350. A little while ago a developed this metallic/metal on metal scraping/knocking noise. At first I thought it was a U joint or spark knock so I replaced the rear u-joint, distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, egr valve, ignition module, and knock sensor, and readjusted the valves. Yes it is set at the correct timing, no the timing does not jump. It will only make this noise while in drive or reverse. I can rev all the way up to the swirlports redline in park or neutral and it will not make this noise. And ideas will be greatly appreciated as I am stumped.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Chevy K1500 with a TBI 350. A little while ago a developed this metallic/metal on metal scraping/knocking noise. At first I thought it was a U joint or spark knock so I replaced the rear u-joint, distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, egr valve, ignition module, and knock sensor, and readjusted the valves. Yes it is set at the correct timing, no the timing does not jump. It will only make this noise while in drive or reverse. I can rev all the way up to the swirlports redline in park or neutral and it will not make this noise. And ideas will be greatly appreciated as I am stumped.

I had the exact same thing in a totally different vehicle once and it turned out to be a loose flex plate bolt. Would only do it in reverse under load.

Gregory

Reaction score
Anybody knows the laws regarding a diesel swap into a gas truck? I was planning 4bd1t into my suburban instead of a LSX.

Jason1351

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. Going to install an ac delete pulley and i've been told by someone I need a different belt size. Got the 95 Tbi 5.7. Is this true? Been searching using the search thing but can't find anything about it. Hoping he's just confusing my motor with the vortech or lt1 like most ppl do.

92silvy

Reaction score
Got a slight situation guys. I've got a nv4500 behind a stock tbi 350 in my 92 k1500. So while I was driving to school, it felt like it was bucking a little in 5 gear. It was about 1200-1300 rpms on a relatively level road. It kinda bucked a little so I let off and went into 4th, or 3rd because it has the low gear, and it did it a little more, but I raised the rpms and it seemed to stop. We're the rpms to low? Or are gears losing their teeth or am I loosing my clutch or something? This is the first time this has happened. Thanks guys for any replies