The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something in my belt drive whines terribly with the rpms. It is quite loud and annoying. I thought it was the belt tensioner pulley because it was a little loose, replaced...same noise. Replaced the alternator recently too and the noise is still there. What could it be? It really seems to be coming from the alternator, it's a NAPA reman.
Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it.

Could be your water pump, or your power steering pump.

Spode

Reaction score
I have a 98' 5.7 with about 300,000 miles on it. I just got access to a 92 suburban, motor has less than 5,000 miles on complete rebuild, when they wrecked it. The motor is free if I want it. Is the main block the same? I know my vortec has different intake manifold etc, but can I use that block as the donor for my project. My plan would be to do pcm update, edelbrock intake and other vortec improvements at the time of the swap.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 isn't a roller lifters motor like the 98. The block itself I think is the same except the lifter valley might not be drilled for lifter keepers . Crank I think is different due to the reluctor ring for the crank sensor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98' 5.7 with about 300,000 miles on it. I just got access to a 92 suburban, motor has less than 5,000 miles on complete rebuild, when they wrecked it. The motor is free if I want it. Is the main block the same? I know my vortec has different intake manifold etc, but can I use that block as the donor for my project. My plan would be to do pcm update, edelbrock intake and other vortec improvements at the time of the swap.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/fastorange-1998-ecsb-build-thread-project-leftovers.35702/

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid question: I'm getting ready to pull the 454 (vortec) out of my k3500.
Where do you attach brackets on the engine to lift it?

If I buy this and pull off the upper and lower intakes, can I bolt the brackets to the heads where the intake bolts to?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XSCEJY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I bolt to the front and back of the heads. A couple of 3/8 course bolts and you're good to go. I've tried the engine leveler and I can't get the engine up high enough to clear the core support in my standard height garage.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bolt to the front and back of the heads. A couple of 3/8 course bolts and you're good to go. I've tried the engine leveler and I can't get the engine up high enough to clear the core support in my standard height garage.
Ah good call, I have a standard height garage and i'd probably have that problem too.

I'll pick up some chain and 3/8 bolts, thanks Skylark!

JohnBravo

Reaction score
My radiator is leaking so I'm going to replace it (along with upper and lower hoses). I'm looking on RockAuto and I see two radiators - Spectra CU1693 (1" thick) and OSC 1693 "enhanced" (1.25" thick). Otherwise they are described to be similar...will they both fit, or which would be the way to go? Or maybe you'd suggest a different brand? They're all pretty close in price (except AC Delco $$$).
Thanks!

Last edited: