The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the cover?

So I was replacing my passenger side door hinges, and saw this cover just floating around inside my fender. Pulled it out and it seems to have just fallen off from somewhere, and I cannot figure out what that spot was.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

It looks pretty big, so whatever it was covering I think it should go back there to keep stuff out of that area. Thanks!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the cover?

So I was replacing my passenger side door hinges, and saw this cover just floating around inside my fender. Pulled it out and it seems to have just fallen off from somewhere, and I cannot figure out what that spot was.

You must be registered for see images

It looks pretty big, so whatever it was covering I think it should go back there to keep stuff out of that area. Thanks!

It's just a little cover for the inner side of fenders, both sides have em. Here's a pic of passenger side one with an without it

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You mentioned “but with running a larger fan it keeps the coolant temps lower when the truck is running”, does this mean you’ve replaced your stock clutch fan with larger blades?

I replaced my stock 5-blade metal fan with an 11-blade plastic fan; it's an S10 fan from NAPA, but it bolts right up to the clutch on my truck and the dwellings are all the same.

Really the computer doesn't set a limit on the camshaft, the tuner does. A newer computer (0411) does make the tuning easier as there are more tables to access though.

I thought there were certain lift ranges that didn't jive well with the stock computers? Or is it something else I'm confusing that with?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought there were certain lift ranges that didn't jive well with the stock computers? Or is it something else I'm confusing that with?

Probably something else. The black box is somewhat limited just because there aren't a lot of parameters to edit, but with the 0411 I really don't think you would ever hit a limit to cam size. The idle tuning would probably be the biggest issue with a large cam, and a good tuner should be able to figure that out. There are plenty of people running large cams in the LS world on the gen 3 computers with no issues. You just wont get it to have a really low - smooth idle, and if you don't have hydroboost brakes you may run into issues. And there's also limits to what the stock heads can run of course.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
="edonwheels, post: 1007661, member: 4452"]

My truck runs waaay cooler now, it used to run 198-200 cruising with the fan engaged, and about 200 idling. After the fan my truck runs 188-193 cruising, and 197/198 idling.
It supposedly helps with the AC being cooler too, but I need to recharge mine so I can't confirm that right now. It moves a hell of a lot more air and doesn't stay engaged as long as it did with the 5-blade fan.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a shop notify me my fan was missing 1 blade when I first bought it an needed to smog so im not sure what I had before but I do have that larger 11 blade and even pulling my trailers I never get above 185°

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best spark plug for a 92 4.3 V6?:) I would rather not use the copper OEM ones so what’s a nice upgrade that’ll work?