The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Blue Turd Yup I'm in good ole Ca
@grampadirt dnt own the truck yet, it's posted for sell right now and the owner is stating their mech told them it needs the new computer to pass by smog, they got it listed for 1k, figure throw em an offer lil less, see what's up with the computer, fix an resell

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is definitely a stupid question, but I'm only 27, so give me break. :) I'm no stranger to turning wrenches but I've never really messed with a car with a distributor before and want to make sure I'm not going to screw up my timing. I bought a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires and am wondering if there's anything i should know about replacing the cap and rotor. As long as I don't move the distributor itself it should just be a direct swap, right?

Yep just removing the cap and rotor, then replacing will not affect timing. I would recommend you mark the old cap and wires with the cylinder number, as it becomes a mess when you unplug them all at once! New caps rarely have cylinder number markings on them.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep just removing the cap and rotor, then replacing will not affect timing. I would recommend you mark the old cap and wires with the cylinder number, as it becomes a mess when you unplug them all at once! New caps rarely have cylinder number markings on them.

That's what I though, but I just wanted to be sure. My plan was to just take the cap off without removing any wires, then set the old next to the new when I run new ones. Thanks!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
@Blue Turd Yup I'm in good ole Ca
@grampadirt dnt own the truck yet, it's posted for sell right now and the owner is stating their mech told them it needs the new computer to pass by smog, they got it listed for 1k, figure throw em an offer lil less, see what's up with the computer, fix an resell
Don't understand ''needs a new computer to pass smog''.Wonder if it's throwing a bunch of codes and the CEL light is on and their solution is it must be the computer.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my alternator (currently 105A) so that I can add a small fuse block for four 12v ports as well as an inverter with a couple of 110v outlets. It will mainly be for charging various devices (phones, laptops, 18v power tool batteries, not all at once) so the draw won't be too crazy. I already plan on doing the big 3 when I do this. What are some good options for a bigger alternator without making major modifications?

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my alternator (currently 105A) so that I can add a small fuse block for four 12v ports as well as an inverter with a couple of 110v outlets. It will mainly be for charging various devices (phones, laptops, 18v power tool batteries, not all at once) so the draw won't be too crazy. I already plan on doing the big 3 when I do this. What are some good options for a bigger alternator without making major modifications?

Ad244 alternator. If I'm right it's a 140 amp

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/96-98-vortec-alternator-upgrade-ad244.232/

There's one thread, it's mentioned in others...just search "AD244" in the bar above.