The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can dim a Car Dual XM270 head unit? It's just too damn bright to be able to drive at night,

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Anyone know what kinda of amp I would need to run 4 components and a small sub. All I really know about is mono amps

If you want to settle for an all in one box solution with most likely shared power supplies, then you want to find a 5 channel amplifier that has crossover functions.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to settle for an all in one box solution with most likely shared power supplies, then you want to find a 5 channel amplifier that has crossover functions.

All I really want is to able to hear highs mids and lows at 70 with the windows down. Decent sound quality is a must. (Don't hear well enough to worry about much more than that. I can hear good but it's sometimes very hard for me to pick one sound out of a group and know what it is

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
All I really want is to able to hear highs mids and lows at 70 with the windows down. Decent sound quality is a must. (Don't hear well enough to worry about much more than that. I can hear good but it's sometimes very hard for me to pick one sound out of a group and know what it is

Alpine has a pretty nice 5 channel that's plug and play for their headunits.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

Decent sound quality with the windows down at 70 mph... that's a pipe dream.

You can make something loud, but to have quality, you need a quiet vehicle. Tires that aren't highway howlers, no wind noises, cowl panels that vibrate, squeaking interior panels, loud exhausts, good sound deadener, etc.

These are at odds with 'quality'. ;) IE: More signal, less noise.

Pretty much *any* 5 channel amp that has decent power numbers will suffice for what you want to do.

A 3 dB increase in sound pressure level will take twice the electrical power ( this assuming that the speaker isn't driven to a level that is causing the voice coil to heat up and cause power compression )

It takes 10 dB to make a perceived 'doubling' in loudness, which is also 10X the power.

Most average head units will do in the 15w RMS range per channel. To seem twice as loud, you would need 150w per channel, a level that will smoke most common speakers in short order.

60w per channel is going to give you better output than a standard deck. Not sure what you have for a subwoofer, or what size of box.

I would probably lean towards something like the Kenwood KAC7005PS for around the $ 200 range.

Keep in mind where you want to locate this amplifier. If mounted on the cab wall behind the rear seat, then you may run into the issue where the rear seat will not stay folded up, if it is too thick.

If the amp size is small enough, you may be able to tuck it under the front seat. Also, note where the connections are before purchasing... are they all on one end or side, making life easier?

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Suburban...now its throwing a code for the fuel cut off circuit...what do I do?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stupid question time. So the rigid loop festoon bulbs for the map lights in the older dome housings... This housing to be exact...

You must be registered for see images attach

The bulbs on the sides. What are they? I know they're 44mm rigid loop festoons in the LED world, but I'm in the process of converting my red truck back to standard bulbs. Got tired of the intensity of the LEDs, just doesn't look right to me anymore. Are they 561s?

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid question time. So the rigid loop festoon bulbs for the map lights in the older dome housings... This housing to be exact...

You must be registered for see images attach

The bulbs on the sides. What are they? I know they're 44mm rigid loop festoons in the LED world, but I'm in the process of converting my red truck back to standard bulbs. Got tired of the intensity of the LEDs, just doesn't look right to me anymore. Are they 561s?
Yes they are 561's

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to fix a loose factory fog light switch?
Or do I need to replace it?
My fog lights will stay on....If i place a nickle under the switch/button to keep the contact.