The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Could someone let me know if this ground strap is in the correct location on the body? Pictured is the fuel filler neck.

RiggRMortis

Reaction score
Here's a dumb question: What's that box with wires under the drivers seat in my 94 Suburban Silverado? No power seats...

IADC43

Reaction score
1989 C1500
I replaced the under dash wire loom. I haven't been able to find where this connector with black and black/white stripe wires goes to. I thought to the convenience center, but the connector doesn't fit:

You must be registered for see images attach

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Alright, so I wanna replace the pillar speakers in my extended cab (3rd door) and from some light research I can either take out the plastics like the write up thread and risk breaking God knows how many clips and ruin some interior pieces.. Or I can cut holes directly to the speakers? How would I go about this? Drivers rear is blown and the popping/noises are driving me bonkers and the passenger side isn't far from death either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiGiTaL D

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here and I have a stupid electronics question. I bought my '92 C2500 a couple months ago. It had an aftermarket stereo in it but the seller removed it before selling leaving an empty bezel. He used an adapter to go from the factory harness to the aftermarket unit so it was easy to go back to stock. There was the aftermarket single DIN bezel in the middle of the dash and the Metra pocket where the factory head unit used to be.

All my previous experience with GM factory radios has been in B-bodies and '95 and newer C/K trucks, so I was surprised to learn that the 88-94 factory radio is actually a remote control head running the radio under the dash. I bought a nice factory control head on eBay and also a factory center dash pocket (with the vents) because I wasn't planning to do a tape deck. After figuring out that I needed the radio as well, I pulled one from a junkyard truck that I also pulled the whole dash out of (mine is shattered). Yesterday I put everything together and of course the radio did not work.

Everything from the factory harness on the truck plugged in to the top of the radio unit under the dash no problem. On my head unit I've got two sets of wires coming from it. One is in the black jacket harness with the gray connector which I'm guessing is the main harness and the other is a pair of wires that goes to a white connector. One of them is white and one of them is white with yellow stripe. For this connector, I can't find a place to plug it in on the radio unit. Also coming from the gray connector on the main harness from the control head I have a single white wire that terminates in a single pin connector and I can't find a place for it either. I'm thinking that's for +12VDC that keeps the clock on the control head set but its weird because I don't know where to plug it in.

I checked the fuses and everything is good there. So I'm wondering if there were differences in control heads and radios over the 88-94 production run that would prevent a newer control head from running an older radio or vice versa. Or maybe the head or radio is just bad.

I want to stick to a stock radio because I don't really care for aftermarket units and I'd like to keep this truck as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
Question about the door jam switch:

When I open the drivers door the key in ignition beeper comes on but not the dome light. Dome light works from dimmer switch and from both rear doors. Do I need to look at the switch or somewhere else?

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:

I have this sub woofer:
Kicker 10C124 Comp 12-Inch Subwoofer 4 SVC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036MOQCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

and this amp:
BOSS AUDIO R1100M Riot 1100-Watt Monoblock, Class A/B 2-8 Ohm Stable Monoblock Amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XNEO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

The sub is 4 ohm, and the amp is 2 ohm. I was wondering if I can just hook them up or if I need to wire it in such a way as to compensate for the sub being double the ohm rating. The literature that came with the equipment isn't much help. The amp puts out 825w at 2 ohm, and 413 at 4ohm. The sub can only handle 500w.

I'm thinking the sub has an impedance of 4ohm, so just hooking it up will work fine, except this might overheat the amp. Is the only option just to hook it up and see, or is there an alternate way to wire it to ensure the amp isn't overheating and the sub isn't exceeding 500w?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You answered your own question. Amp puts out 413W at 4 Ohms. Sub will handle 500W at 4 Ohms. You're fine.

EDIT - To clarify, Ohms = Resistance in the circuit. Your amp will automatically adjust to the Ohm load. Just hook it up like you normally would.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I figured, but felt I better ask and be safe than sorry.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I figured, but felt I better ask and be safe than sorry.

For sure, you're welcome! As an added bonus your amp will probably run cooler at 4 Ohms than it will at 2. Should be a pretty nice match.