The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a clunk from i beleive the rear axle. At first i thought it was my converter but the few times ive caught it the rpms dont change. It now seems thru rigorous testing (shitload of driving) it clunks when im comin out of a corner. Its in the 50-75 mph range so usually when im runnin the old 2 lane roads between towns. Truck is optioned as a non posi but not sure if someone replaced it as i get both wheels spinnin in mud or snow. Ill save my 4wd question for after this.

Pull off the cover and drain the fluid and check the magnet at the bottom as well. What are the details on the vehicle and the axle?

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Its a 98 k1500 ecsb. 305 with 4L60e. From factory i think was a 3.42 open diff truck (no g80 code). The clunk was harsh when i first got it now it seems a lil softer. Dunno if it would matter but with #1 at tdc the rotor was pointing to the thermostat. Fixed that yesterday abd it runs much better. Imagine that. Whoever worked on this thing had all kinds of crap messed up.

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the ABS is disconnected from a 98 k1500 if the 4x4 will not work? There's a wire from the main 8 pin plug that says its for (4wd front wheel lock tell tail feed) pin D?

James Lee

Reaction score
I’m having a clunk that sounds like it’s coming from the rear end. Only does it when I come to a firm stop or a firm take off. No noise at higher speeds. No clunking when I turn or anything. Just stopping and going. Already replaced both U Joints.
Any tips on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the ABS is disconnected from a 98 k1500 if the 4x4 will not work? There's a wire from the main 8 pin plug that says its for (4wd front wheel lock tell tail feed) pin D?

If I am not mistaken that wire is to tell the ABS to NOT engage when in 4X4

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible to swap just the guts out of a gmt400 rear axle into a gmt800 housing?
If by guts you mean all the goodies in the middle then I've understood in the affirmative, but have no direct experience. Axle shafts on GMT800 are longer than the 400, so that's a definite no.

Matching ring gear size is deciding factor for a successful "retrofit" w/o modification/fabrication; and of course matching gear ratio to your front axle for those with 4x4.

P. S. This is all 3/4 ton speak. Some (or none) of this info may or may not be applied to 1/2 ton

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Kshahan

Reaction score
If by guts you mean all the goodies in the middle then I've understood in the affirmative, but have no direct experience. Axle shafts on GMT800 are longer than the 400, so that's a definite no.

Matching ring gear size is deciding factor for a successful "retrofit" w/o modification/fabrication; and of course matching gear ratio to your front axle for those with 4x4.

P. S. This is all 3/4 ton speak. Some (or none) of this info may or may not be applied to 1/2 ton

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am referring to just the gears, carrier and pinion, possibly the ring gears on the outside as well, my buddies G80 came apart on him, and all I have are 88-99 axles