The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Veeman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you guys running in the front on your bagged trucks?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Muskratt2

Reaction score
I am getting ready to go with a 5/7 DJM kit on my 89 C1500. I have read this thread all the way through & really have not seen anything for this drop. Plenty for a 4/6 but not a 5/7.
What shocks should I run for this drop? Another words what vehicle do they fit?
Also, what shocks are going to give me the best ride?

Veeman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool I ended up using 88-89 ford f150 shocks up front.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4/6 drop with flip kit and c notch, have bell tech shocks that came with kit. Have some issues with frame and rear end hitting when driving at road speeds, have looked at some qa1 adjustable shocks and also looked at lower shock mount extenders to change the shock angle. Looking to improve the rear ride and hopefully stop the bottoming out.

Reaction score
I'm running Monroe Sensatracs #5867 on the front and #5803 on the rear on my bagged '99 Suburban. Build thread with all the answers to the questions I couldn't find coming soon!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Oh no I want FIRM!!!!
I am also doing the Helwig sway bars!!!
My plans are DJM 4/6 drop with AVS underbed c_notch, Bilstein shocks, and helwig sway bars.
Sounds like you have the set up I'm going with lol.....
How do you like that set up?

The Beltech Street Performers are pretty darn firm!

Does anyone know if Bilstein makes shocks that are a good match for a 3/4 drop on these trucks? The only numbers I've been able to find are AK2083 for a 4" drop in front and 24-021715 for a 6" drop in rear with a flip kit/shock extenders. Will these work for a 3/4 as well and if not does anyone know what will? I'd prefer to stay with Bilstein due to past experience.

EDIT: Think I answered my own question at least partially. I looked up those part numbers on a couple different websites and it seems like they'll probably work for my application. Slightly varied info between vendors but Bilstein's website actually lists them both for a 4" drop so I think they'll probably be fine. If anyone has any other suggestions or wants to share prior experiences with these please feel free.

The rear shocks for a 4/6 will work with the 3/4. The 6" rear drop uses 2" shock extenders, so that works out the same as a 4" drop without the extenders. The 3" drop can also use the same shocks as the stroke of the shock will be slightly higher within the body of it than they would be at 4". They probably won't work with a 5" drop as they may have a tendency to bottom out.

4/6 drop with flip kit and c notch, have bell tech shocks that came with kit. Have some issues with frame and rear end hitting when driving at road speeds, have looked at some qa1 adjustable shocks and also looked at lower shock mount extenders to change the shock angle. Looking to improve the rear ride and hopefully stop the bottoming out.

With a 6" rear drop, you have to use the extenders. The shocks are not working as shocks. More like levers. The angle for them to work properly is all wrong without the extenders. They're swinging as opposed to compressing.
Rear upper shock mount relocation really helps the ride, too
Have you notched the bed crossmember?

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

QA1's in the front requires that the LCA's have the hole for the shocks enlarged so that the shock can fit through. They're beefy!

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
QA1's in the front requires that the LCA's have the hole for the shocks enlarged so that the shock can fit through. They're beefy!

Not necessarily true. The pro coil kits have a tapered spring so they are literally a bolt in shock. Only thing need to be done is enlarged the stud hole up top. Refer to coilovers < 350 thread by 454ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk