the mysterious interior rain leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna have to clean out some stuff n bust out two tubes of silicone or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The whole side of my driver and passenger side floor molding and carpet are wet my goodness

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I park at an angle everyday like 12 degrees driver side being the high side \. :( maybe I need new weather stripping??
It's getting annoying n it has been raining a lot lately

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't read all 6 pages but this is THE cowl screw that allows water to leak into the interior; the others are irrelevant - trust me - the others will just let water into the cowl area itself which happens constantly anyway as it normally falls through the slats in the plastic cowl piece, and goes out the cowl side drains (the plastic ducts at each end of the firewall that have rubber flaps leading into the fenders) assuming they aren't clogged up.

Except for this one screw, because it is positioned directly over the mouth of the square walled-off area inside the cowl where the air feeds into the HVAC system from outside. If this one leaks, it drips right down into the HVAC system over the fresh air flap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Thanks for the tip. It will save me a lot of stress which my wife will thank you for. I can't believe how much good info you guys share. Thanks again.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a nasty water leak that will take out your carpet, then your floor with rust.

When I got my truck, it had this problem, but no damage had yet been done. I removed both cowl drains and cleaned them out. Then I removed the HVAC condensation drain, and cleaned it out. Next, I removed the wipers and the plastic cowl pieces, and cleaned everything out thoroughly. Put it back together with the silicone on ALL screws, whether I thought they needed it or not.

Finally, I removed the rubber rain gutters in the door openings, cleaning the rubber as well as the metal in behind. While I was there, I cleaned all the door gaskets.

I suspect the problem was the screws, and the silicone fixed it, but I was going maniacal about the leak, so I just did everything I could think of.

And the result? NO LEAKS!!!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a nasty water leak that will take out your carpet, then your floor with rust.

When I got my truck, it had this problem, but no damage had yet been done. I removed both cowl drains and cleaned them out. Then I removed the HVAC condensation drain, and cleaned it out. Next, I removed the wipers and the plastic cowl pieces, and cleaned everything out thoroughly. Put it back together with the silicone on ALL screws, whether I thought they needed it or not.

Finally, I removed the rubber rain gutters in the door openings, cleaning the rubber as well as the metal in behind. While I was there, I cleaned all the door gaskets.

I suspect the problem was the screws, and the silicone fixed it, but I was going maniacal about the leak, so I just did everything I could think of.

And the result? NO LEAKS!!!
I love a happy ending. Glad it worked out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been having this issue in the Suburban lately, just a few drops but enough to make me want to fix it. Going to try the easy route suggested by @someotherguy first and just seal that one cowl screw with silicone. Lots of good information in this thread!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, sealing that screw didn't work for me. Seems to have slowed things down slightly but I'm still getting water on the passenger floor mat when it rains. So is the general opinion here that it's either the rain gutters or the inlet for the blower box if that screw doesn't take care of it? If it is the blower box inlet, do you just seal around the edge where the plastic meets the metal inside the cowl? @95Escahoe @someotherguy