the mysterious interior rain leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Block that up man, it ruined my OEM blue floor mats, you know how hard it is to find OEM dark blue GM floor mats? It's impossible.

I had some dark red ones in my last truck lol only pair I had ever seen in person

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know man that's my point, the mats have been discontinued so no one is making them, I cannot possibly find Dark Blue Floor mats.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
I know man that's my point, the mats have been discontinued so no one is making them, I cannot possibly find Dark Blue Floor mats.

I had seen a pair in a junk yard once. Guess I should've grabbed them and stuck them on eBay

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Block that up man, it ruined my OEM blue floor mats, you know how hard it is to find OEM dark blue GM floor mats? It's impossible.

Lol. Too bad husky liners don't make maroon or blue ones. It's
A niche market but I'm sure they would sell

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OEM mats in dark blue can fetch at least 80 bucks on eBay, in nice condition i'd pay 100 :D But ya... pretty pricey you could fetch more.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks like something to do when I'm bored sometime. I have husky liners so it just pools in them and dries. I love it.

Actually, you should find it and seal it.

It's not the water pooling on your floor mat that's the problem, it's the rust hole it's going to make where it's coming in.....

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's how I fixed mine, tracked the leak down to the hvac vent under the cowl caulked the 2 sides I can get too cleaned up around it and repainted it, just need to clean up the panel I had to remove, it was held in with seam seal just use a putty knife then pry it out with a screwdriver found this fix online, gonna test it tommrow and see how it turned out

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subed noticed the same thing the other on my way home from work when it was raining.

Sent from the over used computer that is a phone

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subed noticed the same thing the other on my way home from work when it was raining.

Sent from the over used computer that is a phone

What I did seems to have worked I still get a few drops here and there if you have small hands will make sealing it easier I just couldnt reach in there

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

carluvr

Reaction score
I have a '95 Z71 and a '96 Suburban and they both leak, especially the Suburban.
The problem is with the HVAC black box underneath the cowl cover as mentioned three threads up. That black box below the cover consists of two plastic pieces, an upper one and a lower one that are attached and sealed with foam tape at the factory. The foam tape breaks down and the leaks begin. The problems is with getting good access to the box in order to repair the problem. LMC Truck actually sells a replacement seal but I have yet to find a good way to make the fix that doesn't require tearing the dash apart. I've seen numerous trucks at he junkyard that have had their dashes removed for other reasons, and you can see that they've had this same problem. (It's obvious when you see it with the dash removed, dirty brown water stains on the outside of the box that travel into the heater fan compartment).
Frankly it amazes me that this problem isn't addressed more on the internet. There is a vid on YouTube by a guy who calls it an "atmospheric water leak" or something to that effect. Finding the vid will help better explain the problem except that he only seals the outer portion of the box where it meets the cowl on the outside. The bigger problem is on the inside down deep where the two halvel meet, the part that's harder to get to.

Last edited: