The IronHorse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the untimely death of the JollyGreenGiant, I did some shuffling around, and moved the IronHorse into the carport.

The IronHorse is a 1999 (I think I have so many it gets hard to keep up) K2500Suburban. It is a work truck so it has vinyl seats, roll up windows, and rubber floormats. A perfect truck for hauling junk with.

Tomorrow we will do a compression and leakdown test to see what we can find out. Hopefully it is just and intake leak.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since not much happened on the truck here is how my morning went.

I nearly strangled a guy this morning.

Yesterday morning I was supposed to go get a Crown Vic from him. However, weather had me running late. I texted (the only way I had been in touch with him - not at all unusual) him to ask if he wanted to reschedule. He texted back, "reschedule", I asked him when, he never answered.

This morning at 9 he texted and asked why I wasn't there yet. I told him he didnt say to come. I told him I could be there in an hour and a half IF he wanted us to still come. HE said to come.

At 10, when I was 20 minutes from his address, he texted me,"Don't come" I called him. He said he had decided to not sell it.I hung up, I was temped to drive to his house to punch him in the neck.

A minute later he called and said to come get it. I told him to be certain he wanted me to come. He said to come on.

We got there and he started telling me that someone else had offered him $300. I told him that was not true. Then he wanted to be paid before he signed the bill of sale and handed over the keys. Had it not been such a long drive I would have left. As it was I now have a Crown Vic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Need a demo derby car??

We then turned our attention to the IronHorse. We spent some time getting the spark plugs out, then attempted to do a compression test.

The battery was dead.

We hooked up the battery charger, then remembered the nearly new battery in the JollyGreenGiant, so we stole it.

Then the started began making a noise that I cannot describe, and I have never heard before. It was odd, because we have started and driven this truck to where it was parked. We did not attempt to start it to move it under the carport.

While Steph turned the key I looked at the starter and could see something moving. I couldn't tell what it was. She got under the truck and found the starter solenoid was missing both bolts. SO it came out. I had another starter that looked similar, but upon further review it was just slightly different.

A new starter is $120. I can have this one rebuilt for $50. A no brainer there.

Heath (5 year old) got home from school and everyone came inside.

They took the starter to the shop. I am sitting on my butt. They are going grocery shopping too.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I think I remember looking at the Burb on Craigslist;

Sounds like a pretty damn annoying situation with that guy, I don't know if I could've kept my composure in an event like that.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I think I remember looking at the Burb on Craigslist;

Sounds like a pretty damn annoying situation with that guy, I don't know if I could've kept my composure in an event like that.

That's been me and the 98 dually I was supposed to get and never did. Damn people.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You lose your ass on insurance and tags with so many cars? I just paid the piper for 4 cars and it was horrible. Thank God car #5 is an unregistered race car. No wait, that makes it worse.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You lose your ass on insurance and tags with so many cars? I just paid the piper for 4 cars and it was horrible. Thank God car #5 is an unregistered race car. No wait, that makes it worse.

Depends on insurance and what registration cost, have full coverage or just basic. For the 99 burb I just got registration an it's 117 plus I have to smog it this year an insurance is 300 for 6 months, although I have been pulled over quite a few times, I think 6 or 7, couple in cali and couple out on i80. For the 14 burb it's quite a bit more and I'm not looking forward to the registration for that.
You definitely spend more on a race car, project.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Depends on insurance and what registration cost, have full coverage or just basic. For the 99 burb I just got registration an it's 117 plus I have to smog it this year an insurance is 300 for 6 months, although I have been pulled over quite a few times, I think 6 or 7, couple in cali and couple out on i80. For the 14 burb it's quite a bit more and I'm not looking forward to the registration for that.
You definitely spend more on a race car, project.

My Dodge is $270 a year for registration and $522 every six months for full coverage. My 98 k1500 was $164 yearly and $600 every six for full coverage. I've had plenty of speeding tickets lol the CHP loves me!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just dropped 680 on my 98 1500, 97 3500, 04 Z06, and 07 Envoy for tags. Insurance will likely swell to 300/mo if I have them all insured for driving.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pay 164 a month for full coverage on a rwd 14 charger r/t & state liability/unisured motorist on a 99 c3500 cclb. that also w/ my wife on the policy who has 2 accidents on her license & she doesn't drive either vehicle.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to update this.

Steph put the starter back in the next day. However, when I was doing the compression test I found that the whole front of the frame is rusted out. NO fixing it. And the engine had bad compression and when I looked in with the borescope the cylinders were scored. DAMMIT. I do have my eye on another k2500