The interior battle is underway....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen_B

Reaction score
So I have a week of leave and decided to dive into the dash and interior of our '98 Tahoe 2DR. I have to say, this was really poor planning since is is hotter than the surface of Mercury (well, is seems like it inside the Tahoe) but need to get it done...

Pulled the headliner out to re-cover it which was an interesting endeavor. Not sure what color LocTite GM uses on the seatbelt anchors but thinking it would need to be black. Said to hell with them and just notch the headliner to clear the anchors. Pulled out the old rear speakers and mounting brackets to modify for a pair of 6x8 speakers. Modifications complete, speakers mounted into the re-purposed brackets and ready for re-install...

Pulled the dash apart to fix a broken defrost damper; much easier said than done. I have read the tips here and have a full set of shop manuals and now understand why I joined the Navy instead of making a living as a mechanic. Had less trouble explaining the intricacies of diving a submarine than pulling the damn steering column out. In the end and after many thrown tools, did get the column out and managed to rotate the dash far enough to gain access to the top of the air box. New damper is in, not 100% sure it is oriented properly but it will have to work; no way in hell I'm pulling that thing apart again...

Have the column back in and don't think I broke much although the transmission linkage and I had something of a disagreement when removing so time will tell.

Tomorrow, we dive into something I am much more familiar with- installing a new head unit and door speakers. If time permits, will recover the headliner so it has time to cure and install.

Hopefully, I will have time to install the new power steering pump, steering box, shocks and get an alignment done before the weekend.

Not just a job, it's an adventure...

/r

Allen

Allen_B

Reaction score
Good news: The new stereo and speakers are in and sound excellent!
Bad news: did manage to break the transmission cable and the defrost damper repairs were unsuccessful :-(

Thankfully, Amazon has the new cable and will be here on Friday. I think the issue with the defrost damper can be corrected by re-positioning the actuator arm and will dig into that while waiting for the new damn shifter cable!

Also have time to re-cover the head-liner; many thanks to my wife and daughter for scrubbing all of the old foam off from the old one. About $30 spent at the local fabric store and we should have a brand new looking one tomorrow.

Not looking forward to tearing into the power steering pump or steering gear but that is for another section....

/r

Allen

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really need to do my headliner, if only there wasnt a time sucking 2 year old in the house