The Build of My $200 Dollar Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grate write up. I'm in Lafayette, La. I would love to see a GMT 400 meet and greet, and Lafayette would be a grate place for it. Maybe Moncus park ( the horse farm ) on Johnston St. It would take so research into this . IDK if we can just have something like that there, but I don't see why not. It is a park, and there is a huge open field there.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of the info came from lt1swap.com. LAbel all the wires, and delete what you won't be running. In my case I deleted all emissions wires and a/c related wires. I have two computers in my truck currently. The ls computer runs the engine and trans, and the old computer runs gauges and abs. @laidbackbigun .. I am currently located in Iowa so I would have to drive a long way so to get the truck back to Louisiana. Would love to do that sometime in the next year. @kennythewelder

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't add any holes for anything in the firewall. All I had to do was give the lm7 harness ground, constant and switched 12v for ignition. It isn't the cleanest install but a custom made harness would move the lm7 computer behind the glovebox. When I pull the motor out again to cam swap, will clean all of the wiring up with a new custom harness @laidbackbigun

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now this is a mod that i cannot stress enough to do if you work on anything at night. This is the LED light mod, made popular by a Gearhead4life on youtube.
You must be registered for see images attach

I could swap a motor in with those lights going.
Now before i swapped the motor, i got rid of the old steelies, (i wish i didn't) and got a set of 2010 camaro rims.
Now you will need 4 5x5 to 5x4.75 1.5 inch wheel adaptors to run these wheels. All four corners will need to be trimmed or rolled to get these to tuck.
Back to the engine.

The 4.3 came out easily. ( A big thank you to @Dgonz )
I sent that motor off to a better place.
Thanks for the props [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now for the fun stuff.
I am going to shave everything on the truck that is not needed for what i use it for.
I started off simple by welding the bed pockets shut.

Again, we hit it with some fiberglass body filler, and ended with a very skim coat of body filler along the whole bedside. (the truck has lots of small little dents on the rails.)
Looks very clean, nice work. Just my $.02, I would not completing leave the rails smooth. They sell anchors that can be put in stock stake hole location that you press on it and they pop open, press again and they stay flush to the body. I use my truck on some weekends to go to Home Depot or dumpster and use those stake holes. Just saying, again very good work, wish I had my truck the way it's modded now, when I was ur age.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little progress today. I had my I-car welding certification test today so i didnt have much time to get to the truck. Got the roll pan prepped for welding, and ended up having to straighten out the rear bedsides most of the day.
Before i bought the truck, they must've been offroading and ended up on a rock at some point. The metal had a huge crease and was dented inward from the bottom.
Trying to decide on what kind of paint color to go with when all is said in done. What do you guys think?

Also, on another note, let this be a lesson to always tighten your lug nuts.