The Build of My $200 Dollar Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres some more pics of this thing. These are actually really rare from what ive heard. We had a hard time finding one close to us.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rough pulling the wrecked support out

Cut out the old metal

New metal in and painted. They dont make any parts for these things anymore. Getting the new one was a hell of a time

Filler over plug welds, and painted.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So lets get back on track here to the gmt400 world. I finished this up, and put it in storage until it gets nice up here in iowa.

So now, im working on getting everything i need ready for skills iowa. I'm hoping i place, and im really setting my goals high. I hope to be in the nationals competition. In what little time ive had, i replaced the broken grill on old gray here, with the old work truck one from my white truck. It was free so don't judge.
I just finished up shaving the seam sealer covers above the cab corners, so now those are all smooth.

I painted one of my new rims a new color. Let me know what you guys think of these. The camaro rims need to go as i don't feel safe driving on 1.5 inch adapters anymore. Silver or black. let me know!

I'm back on track and i am working on my truck everyday now. I hope to make some more progress for you guys! I will try to post here as often as i can. Feel free to yell at me if you need some updates. Thanks guys!!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So lets get back on track here to the gmt400 world. I finished this up, and put it in storage until it gets nice up here in iowa.

So now, im working on getting everything i need ready for skills iowa. I'm hoping i place, and im really setting my goals high. I hope to be in the nationals competition. In what little time ive had, i replaced the broken grill on old gray here, with the old work truck one from my white truck. It was free so don't judge.
I just finished up shaving the seam sealer covers above the cab corners, so now those are all smooth.

I painted one of my new rims a new color. Let me know what you guys think of these. The camaro rims need to go as i don't feel safe driving on 1.5 inch adapters anymore. Silver or black. let me know!

I'm back on track and i am working on my truck everyday now. I hope to make some more progress for you guys! I will try to post here as often as i can. Feel free to yell at me if you need some updates. Thanks guys!!
My father in law has had 2 shos and theyre a pain to find anything for, especially motor related stuff.

I placed 3rd in my district in skills usa in 2011 then went to state. If its still the same stuff just make sure you know your electrical and how to meausre almost everything to do with a cylinder head. Also make sure you let the car off the jacks or lift to check ride height. Seems like a no brainer but i was one of two people in the whole contest that did it.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Did the wheel adapter's work loose on you or was it the idea of adapters that made you decide on steels ? I like the steel wheel look, but have been considering making a change to different wheels and tires..
I had my wheels stripped and then primed them and shot them with aluminum and then clear coated, that achieved just the right level of silver I was looking for ! Steel wheel gray did not do it for me. The aluminum will look like chit until the clear goes on and the clear coat knocks the aluminum down to just the right shade of silver for me.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I'm definitely subbed to this thread now, this is amazing progress to see on not only one truck but two! I love it, keep up the good work!

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The adaptors have stretched studs at 140 ft lbs, and I actually broke a stud on one of the front ones. I just feel a lot better about riding on 5x5 rims. Plus the cost of tires for the camaro rims are pretty high. As for the skills Iowa, I'm going for auto body so I think it might be a little different as for qualifications. I'm mainly focusing on frame measuring, welding, and metal straightening. Today I started pulling the fenders.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pic

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
The adaptors have stretched studs at 140 ft lbs, and I actually broke a stud on one of the front ones. I just feel a lot better about riding on 5x5 rims. Plus the cost of tires for the camaro rims are pretty high. As for the skills Iowa, I'm going for auto body so I think it might be a little different as for qualifications. I'm mainly focusing on frame measuring, welding, and metal straightening. Today I started pulling the fenders.
Yep, definatly a different course then lol. Good luck though, those scholarship prizes are really good if they still so that.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stuff like this renews my hope for the younger generation ! I know that is a cliché of the worst sort but seeing what I see behind the counters of America it is a pleasure to see someone your age who has it together. Good luck and keep up the good work !