TBI vs. 624 Truck vs. 882 Truck Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've been collecting a lot of SBC parts lately and I'm kinda getting a little mod happy for my truck. I need to take the engine apart soon for a cam/lifter install and intake gasket replacement, but while I'm in there I wanted to ask a question. I have both a set of 624 heads and 882 heads sitting around in the shed and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether or not either the 624 or 882 heads would be a worthwhile upgrade from the dreaded TBI heads in terms of power. Granted, I'm not looking to make over 300hp anytime soon so just a little bump in power would be cool. I figure with a cam replacement, long tube headers, a decent dual plane intake adapted to my throttle body, one of these sets of heads might get me there.

Let me know what you think!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've been collecting a lot of SBC parts lately and I'm kinda getting a little mod happy for my truck. I need to take the engine apart soon for a cam/lifter install and intake gasket replacement, but while I'm in there I wanted to ask a question. I have both a set of 624 heads and 882 heads sitting around in the shed and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether or not either the 624 or 882 heads would be a worthwhile upgrade from the dreaded TBI heads in terms of power. Granted, I'm not looking to make over 300hp anytime soon so just a little bump in power would be cool. I figure with a cam replacement, long tube headers, a decent dual plane intake adapted to my throttle body, one of these sets of heads might get me there.

Let me know what you think!

Personal experience the TBi heads get a bad rep but those smog heads are even worse. Far more prone to cracking and the smog heads have 76cc slow burning chambers. The TBI heads have 65cc chambers and run well with much less timing. I would not be suprised at all to see a noticeable loss of torque until somewhere above 5,000 rpm.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personal experience the TBi heads get a bad rep but those smog heads are even worse. Far more prone to cracking and the smog heads have 76cc slow burning chambers. The TBI heads have 65cc chambers and run well with much less timing. I would not be suprised at all to see a noticeable loss of torque until somewhere above 5,000 rpm.

X2 ...

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bad news is you have all the worst casting Chevy made. Bad thing is that both smoger heads have 76cc chambers and are thin castings. The swirl ports have 64cc . So the compression will be better.
how much head work where you thinking about doing? And is it something your doing your self or paying a machine shop.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I’d probably hand it off to a shop for time’s sake honestly, but now after reading this and more into the other heads it looks like the TBI is the lesser of the other two evils. At least these heads are good for torque. Lol

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d probably hand it off to a shop for time’s sake honestly, but now after reading this and more into the other heads it looks like the TBI is the lesser of the other two evils. At least these heads are good for torque. Lol

Thats kind of the way I looked at it ...if you are not going all out with a 350 plus hp build why not go for the increased torque instead. L31 above is a guru of sorts on swirl port builds and has done many over the years with dyno figures. My engine in my current 350 has swirl ports in it, 10:1 compression and a mild Chevrolet ramjet roller camshaft in it. (This cam is 345 hp @ 5k , 396 TQ @ 3600 in the vortec headed 9.0 :1 crate motor). With my 10:1 swirlports it feels like a rocket off the line and feels like alot more hp than the only 290 ~ 300 hp it probably has due to that torque .