TBI to carb conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddybigblock

Reaction score
you can use the stock computer to run an 80e, if a computer controls it know yor wasting money buying something aftermarket on a drivetrain that wont warrant from it.

I thought it would work. But was worried about the the tach signal being in the right place. Then hooked up the scanner and it wouldn't read anything. Poked around and got it to try and connect but it would not read anything. Now I'm thinking the computer is bad or some wiring is bad.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize that you probably do not want to be talked out of going to a carb, but let me tell you about my recent truck experiences.

I have a 98 5.7 Vortec, with the 'spider" injection. Runs well, gets reasonable mileage, starts easily, etc. etc.

I just bought a very low mileage, all original, mint condition 69 GMC, with a 350 Cu In, Quadrajet engine. A bit harder to start. Sometimes doesn't want to keep running right after start up Reasonable power, really, really bad gas mileage. And this after a professional tune up, with new cap, rotor, points, condenser, plugs, etc. Dwell and timing set with proper equipment, and had the heads and valves done as well.

Yes, the carb engine is easier to fix yourself, simple as hell, and very nostalgic. But, I often find myself wishing it had a good fuel injection and computer ignition system when I'm driving it, or when I'm buying gas for it.

On the 67--72 forum, there's lots of guys who have swapped in Vortecs, and even LS engines, for more power and better mileage.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you dont have power to the aldl then its likely not grounded which means the computer isnt grounded, so by slapping a carb on you made it harder for yourself to utilize the stock computer to control it, or wasted a bunch of money on a aftermarket controller

Otcsavage225

Reaction score
To Get The In Tank Pump To Work other than just prime! cut grey wire from fuel pump relay on passenger firewall and connect it to new relay which will be your fuel pump hot with constant 12v, switched 12v & ground wahla fuel pump comes on with ignition switch and works properly! Remember to use a bypass regulator!

BrockGrimes

Reaction score
Did my 88 last year.I did not have to deal with the electronic transmission. So I can't help you there. But I got a intake off of a 87-88 Monte Carlo. To get the correct bolt pattern. But there are aftermarket ones to.you are going to need a HEI distributor. Carb of choice around 600cfm.gasket kit.
Again I did not go with electric fuel pump and regulator. I did a mechanical conversion. Ran my fuel line on the cross member and then down the passenger side.
If you have any questions or concerns I can help you along.
Still running the carb setup? Hows it running?

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To Get The In Tank Pump To Work other than just prime! cut grey wire from fuel pump relay on passenger firewall and connect it to new relay which will be your fuel pump hot with constant 12v, switched 12v & ground wahla fuel pump comes on with ignition switch and works properly! Remember to use a bypass regulator!

It's kinda fascinating that you made an account just to reply to a 7 year old thread, started by someone who hasn't been online in 7 years.