TBI to carb conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I know there are several threads on this but none of them are that thorough and seem to turn into arguments over what parts are better so I'm making this one.

Now, I'll start off by saying I don't know a whole lot about carburetors, but I've got a pretty decent understanding. I have a 1995 Z71. I'm not happy with the throttle body mainly because I just want something simple and mechanical that I can tune and adjust myself without a computer.

So what I want to know is, what all is included in a carb swap? Besides the obvious being a carb, pressure regulator, intake manifold, TPS for trans. What are the steps? Basically I'd like someone who has actually done this conversion to walk me through the process and parts list so I can better consider my options here, thanks.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did my 88 last year.I did not have to deal with the electronic transmission. So I can't help you there. But I got a intake off of a 87-88 Monte Carlo. To get the correct bolt pattern. But there are aftermarket ones to.you are going to need a HEI distributor. Carb of choice around 600cfm.gasket kit.
Again I did not go with electric fuel pump and regulator. I did a mechanical conversion. Ran my fuel line on the cross member and then down the passenger side.
If you have any questions or concerns I can help you along.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know the part number for the regulator needed for the swap using the factory supply/pressure side line?

Muddybigblock

Reaction score
doing this on my 91 4l80e truck. having trouble with tach signal and ecm not communicating with a scan tool. any tips

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you need rpm signal and a proper grounding for the ecm to work, does the scan tool connect to the ecm at all? did you cut and mutilate the harness? my suggestion. putit back to tbi your gaining nothing going carb

Muddybigblock

Reaction score
you need rpm signal and a proper grounding for the ecm to work, does the scan tool connect to the ecm at all? did you cut and mutilate the harness? my suggestion. putit back to tbi your gaining nothing going carb

didn't hack anything the harness but it had been wrecked and set for many years with no hood on it the scan tool did connect but would not read anything from the ecm. and a tbi will not feed the 496 in it

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Carb swap should eliminate the ecm iirc. You need a stand alone harness for the 80e I believe. And Mallory makes a return style regulator you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk