Taurus E-Fan Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to run a Taurus E-Fan setup vs. buying new fan shrouds and an S10 fan blade for my truck. I plan to do some light towing (>5000lbs) and some spirited driving here and there. Has anyone done this setup on their GMT400? I know the S10 V8 swap guys do this religiously for cheap cooling, and if it can keep a 5.7 cool in an S10 I figure it can do the same in the truck, right?

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's my cheap fan setup. Dual speed fan. Keeps the LS cool in my truck.
Fan is from a minivan, upper shroud is stock, just trimmed.
You must be registered for see images attach

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's my cheap fan setup. Dual speed fan. Keeps the LS cool in my truck.
Fan is from a minivan, upper shroud is stock, just trimmed.

What kind of power did you get out of camming the 5.3? Did you have to do new valve springs?

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of power did you get out of camming the 5.3? Did you have to do new valve springs?
Yes new springs. Don't know a horsepower number, but the cam and tune really woke up the engine. Big difference. I'd guess 400+ hp

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes new springs. Don't know a horsepower number, but the cam and tune really woke up the engine. Big difference. I'd guess 400+ hp

Nice, that's pretty much exactly what I want for my s10.

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread Nightrunner!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
It's all good, looks great! I'd love more info on it like what minivan it came out of

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to run a Taurus E-Fan setup vs. buying new fan shrouds and an S10 fan blade for my truck. I plan to do some light towing (>5000lbs) and some spirited driving here and there. Has anyone done this setup on their GMT400? I know the S10 V8 swap guys do this religiously for cheap cooling, and if it can keep a 5.7 cool in an S10 I figure it can do the same in the truck, right?

I did the Taurus fan trick with my older Suburban. I used an earlier pre 2000 Taurus fan which is more powerful though you have to watch your wiring gauge because of the current draw, and an e-fan kit I got from LMC Trucks. I had to throw in some additional wiring etc. I also added a timer circuit to let it run after shutting off the engine, though you probably don't need it. I also added some Redline Water Wetter to the coolant. It ran great. In fact that Taurus fan was maybe too powerful, it could have used a two speed controller. But better more cooling than you need than not enough.
The one big caveat with any electric fan, but especially a stock one, is if you off road at all and get in water you might have issues. Whereas a flex fan can handle it.

Overall I was very happy with this setup and I hope to do it again with my '99 some day. My only concern is that I would like to see a shroud option that works well with this setup with minimal modification or fuss. I never had any overheating issues without one, but it bothered me to have the uneven airflow.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll look into the e-fan kit on LMC. If I could get rid of the old shrouds (or at least repurpose them) and ditch the bulky clutch fan I'd be happy. Lol

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some people use the Volvo fan controller on the Taurus fan conversion due to the high speed fan's output draw.

Low speed works great with anything .(Switch and fuse)

High speed is close to a 100 amp draw on startup. Likes to burn up stuff.

Used a Taurus 2 speed fan on a S10 and my Cadillac powered Monza drag car in Arizona.

Doug in P.R.:)

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running 05+ truck fans on my suburban. I trimmed them to fit in between the radiator tanks and made a cover from a piece of sheet metal. Couple thousand miles on them so far and no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk