Tailgate Trim Removal?

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by 94bowtie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 94bowtie

94bowtie OBS Enthusiast

I have a 94 c1500 and i got a 5th wheel tailgate to help with the mpgs. So im going to sell the stock tailgate. But like most of them, the aluminum trim tht says CHEVROLET, is all pitted and everything. So i want to redo it, sand it, paint it, and clear coat it. The tailgate is at a friends right now, so i cant go out and look, but i dont know how to take the trim off. Can anyone tell me how?

2. DRAGGIN95

DRAGGIN95 Warranty Killer! Staff Member

Use a piece of thin fishing line, and wear a pair of gloves and wrap the fishing line around your hand's on each end and use the fishing line like a saw, it will cut right through the tape that holds on the trim and it won't harm the paint or the trim. Then use an eraser wheel to remove the trim tape on the paint.

3. darren250r

darren250r I'm Awesome

Its just attached with adhesive tape like the side molding. As a side note, Mythbusters did an episode on whether or not you get better gas mileage with your tailgate down. As it turns out, you without a doubt get better gas mileage with the tailgate up. They do studies and explanations on the aerodynamics involved and why it happens this way. Check it out on you tube.

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 I'm Awesome

Hmmm...fishing line is a good idea. I wanted to get mine off, but be able to reinstall it in case the paint peeled off with it like my side trim did.

5. Devs93

Devs93 OBS 4 EVA Staff Member

I always take an eraser wheel to clean up and tape left behind to

6. Daddie2k3

Daddie2k3 Newbie

So will it be a smooth tailgate with the chevy banner gone like gmc's or will it be a noticeable spot for it because I want to I debadge my truck

7. 95obschevy

95obschevy I'm Awesome

Heres what mine looks like with the banner removed, the spot on it isnt very noticeable unless you really look at it.

[​IMG]

8. ChrisAU

ChrisAU War Damn Eagle

Sad day. I just bought a tailgate just because it had that strip on it.

9. Daddie2k3

Daddie2k3 Newbie

Wow Eric it looks great did u repaint and did you use the fishing line trick?

10. Askme42

Askme42 I'm Awesome

I just did mine last weekend. Used a heat gun and an old ice scraper just to get the edges started. If you use fishing line it needs to be a pretty strong line. Started out doing mine that way heat gun way easier. Then an eraser wheel which works like a charm. I will say we did mine and a friends mine is a 91 and his a 98 and mine was much harder to get off with much thicker two sided tape. The edges will look a little different with the dirt etched in the clearcoat but you should be able to buff it out.