Tailgate Trim Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 c1500 and i got a 5th wheel tailgate to help with the mpgs. So im going to sell the stock tailgate. But like most of them, the aluminum trim tht says CHEVROLET, is all pitted and everything. So i want to redo it, sand it, paint it, and clear coat it. The tailgate is at a friends right now, so i cant go out and look, but i dont know how to take the trim off. Can anyone tell me how?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use a piece of thin fishing line, and wear a pair of gloves and wrap the fishing line around your hand's on each end and use the fishing line like a saw, it will cut right through the tape that holds on the trim and it won't harm the paint or the trim. Then use an eraser wheel to remove the trim tape on the paint.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its just attached with adhesive tape like the side molding. As a side note, Mythbusters did an episode on whether or not you get better gas mileage with your tailgate down. As it turns out, you without a doubt get better gas mileage with the tailgate up. They do studies and explanations on the aerodynamics involved and why it happens this way. Check it out on you tube.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm...fishing line is a good idea. I wanted to get mine off, but be able to reinstall it in case the paint peeled off with it like my side trim did.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So will it be a smooth tailgate with the chevy banner gone like gmc's or will it be a noticeable spot for it because I want to I debadge my truck

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will it be a smooth tailgate with the chevy banner gone like gmc's or will it be a noticeable spot for it because I want to I debadge my truck

Heres what mine looks like with the banner removed, the spot on it isnt very noticeable unless you really look at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did mine last weekend. Used a heat gun and an old ice scraper just to get the edges started. If you use fishing line it needs to be a pretty strong line. Started out doing mine that way heat gun way easier. Then an eraser wheel which works like a charm. I will say we did mine and a friends mine is a 91 and his a 98 and mine was much harder to get off with much thicker two sided tape. The edges will look a little different with the dirt etched in the clearcoat but you should be able to buff it out.