Tail Lights and Rear turn signals issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TyCrawf

Reaction score
To start off the post,

I have a 1994 GMC suburban k1500.

I have tail lights, dim but they are there, no rear turn signals or back up lights.

Started to dissect the rear wiring, took off the rear bumper, pulled the wiring harnesses. Wasn't getting 12v at the brown wire in the flat four harness, so someone in previous ownership ran a hot wire from the battery junction to a RV trailer plug, then back fed it to the lights.

I cut out the bad spots I could find and re crimped and heat shrank the connections, then to find the brake switch to test for voltage.

Pull the lower cover to find a rats best of "I guess it will work installation", trailer brake controller, Walmart prestige remote starter, and a hidden jem of an Alpine cd changer under the dash.

So with half of the dash apart, 18"+ of aftermarket wiring pulled out, and tagging of janky wirng taps (strip the insulation and wrap wire around the bare wires and tape up.)

Brake switch should have a 12v constant? And what would kill rear turns and reverse lights?

I guess I'm looking for advice and or diagrams of the brake switch, multifunction switch, and possibly the turn signal switch.

Thanks

Tyler

leegrady

Reaction score
I think the best advice I can give is to buy a gm factory electrical wiring diagram book. They can be purchased used in good condition on ebay, amazon, etc... For not a lot of money. This will reduce the amount of guess work. For example, if the truck is equipped with cruise control, the cruise is tied in with the brake lights...

-lee

TyCrawf

Reaction score
I think the best advice I can give is to buy a gm factory electrical wiring diagram book. They can be purchased used in good condition on ebay, amazon, etc... For not a lot of money. This will reduce the amount of guess work. For example, if the truck is equipped with cruise control, the cruise is tied in with the brake lights...

-lee

Got it all tore out, and hard wired the rear tails for right now.

I now have turns, running lights, back ups.

I'll have to check the brake switch next, the only thing I don't have is tail lamp highs.