Tail light circuit boards--- are all of them crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
OK so I've gone through three sets (well, a right and two lefts) of tail light circuit boards on this 99 Suburban in 3 years. In every one of them, you can wiggle the bulb and get the light to momentarily work, so it's not blowing the bulbs. It's bad contacts in the little rectangle socket somewhere below.

In fact, you can leave the bulb alone and use a scratch awl to wiggle the rectangle socket, and the light will light up.

I have no idea what brand (or, if OEM) was on the truck when I got it, but I've blown it, and a right/left from a Dorman pack. In each case, they worked fine for several months, up to a year or more, and suddenly "fast flicker", and no turn signal.

Any suggestions? Anyone pop one open and solder the connections inside? I'm not afraid of a little 63/37 if I need to get it out.

Last edited:

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK so I've gone through three sets (well, a right and two lefts) of tail light circuit boards on this 99 Suburban in 3 years. In every one of them, you can wiggle the bulb and get the light to momentarily work, so it's not blowing the bulbs. It's bad contacts in the little rectangle socket somewhere below.

In fact, you can leave the bulb alone and use a scratch awl to wiggle the rectangle socket, and the light will light up.

I have no idea what brand (or, if OEM) was on the truck when I got it, but I've blown it, and a right/left from a Dorman pack. In each case, they worked fine for several months, up to a year or more, and suddenly "fast flicker", and no turn signal.

Any suggestions? Anyone pop one open and solder the connections inside? I'm not afraid of a little 63/37 if I need to get it out.

Dunno, but interested to see an answer myself I have the same problem !

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
It might be your wiring for the tail lights. I don't know, not much of an electrician. It could just be a junk pack you got or maybe it's just Dorman in general. Not sure. :)

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Dorman circuit boards suck!!!!!! I did the same thing. 5 sets all went out within a month or two. Go to rockauto and order two of the TYC boards. Had them for 2 years now and not a single problem.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
+1 for TYC, highly recommend their products. Bought TYC headlights for my truck and they are really good quality.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would open it up and attack the connections with a soldering iron if any of them are soldered. It really sounds like connections working loose. I would dissect that sucker and find out WHY it is behaving that way. I doubt it would be a difficult fix. My lights all work so I am leaving them alone for the present.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem and only was I solved my problem was get a oem set from pull a part. Cleaned all the old nasty grease out. Put in fresh dielectric grease and I've had zero problems

BDBerry

Reaction score
I had the same problem multiple times on my previous 97 Yukon SLE and on my present 99 Suburban LT. My solution was to go with the stock-looking red LED taillight assemblies purchased on Ebay. Look great, brighter than stock, come on instantly and stay cool. I get compliments every year during state vehicle inspections. A much safer option that also updates the appearance of your truck.

Tom M

Reaction score
Having same issue....Chased ghost from the stop switch, to suspected burned out bulbs from corner signals to High mount stop lamps as I replaced right rear bulbs to be sure.
One of two things or both; When putting new bulbs in right rear, where the trouble first appeared, they lit up bright as day then dimmed and no signal when moving it around.
Fiddling with each wire on the back of the plug would produce the same symptoms...
So, either the board of the plug. I suspect the plug pins, or the blades on the board not getting good connection.
Aftermarket boards from Dorman or Duralast, not a good idea?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Aftermarket circuit boards are awful. I regretted buying mine ten or so years ago. Bulb sockets get weak and they don't make contact anymore, of course resulting in constant bulbs not working. Didn't seal that great against the housing either. Doctored up the stock ones good enough three months later

At the time I bought mine, they were uncoated printed circuit boards, so they were also susceptible to corrosion. Circuit traces looked like crap after just that little time.