Tahoe (minimal) rear wheel spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've searched the forum already but could not find definitive answers, so I'd like to create a new thread.

From factory, rear wheel track on a 4WD Tahoe is about 15 milimeters (0.6 in) narrower than the front truck.

Has anybody put on some narrow spacers/shims in the rear, just to make the rear track even with (or slightly wider than) the front?
Or is it better to just use, say, 1.5" inch spacers while you're at it?

What I'd like is to have rear wheels sit slightly wider than now. It's supposed to improve handling (and it would look better. I'm quite OK with the stock track width of the front wheels, btw.

bsn1989

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put thin spacers on the front wheels of my truck to clear the center cap for the 2012 wheels on it.

I am running stock lug length and with the below spacers, I have plenty of thread engagement on my lugnuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Whee...ash=item1c43072ca5:g:KsAAAOSwRMtZY8R9&vxp=mtr

In my opinion, the less spacer the better. The further you put spacers out on your vehicle, the quicker the wheel bearings fail.

I'm sure you can find some 1/4" spacers for each side which would bring you up to the half inch you want.

Thanks!

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I was looking at the lug nuts and was wondering if I would need longer studs if I put spacers on. There appears to be no thread left as the lug nuts sit now.

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you would need is 1/4” spacers per side. When only using a 1/4” spacer you don’t lose enough engagement in the lug nut to worry about longer studs.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at the rear wheel and the way nuts are now with stock setup (no spacers/shims), I'm not so sure I could run shims with the same length studs...:
You must be registered for see images attach

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need 1.5x diameter engagement in the lug nut. The studs are 14mm (.551) x 1.5= 0.8265 wilhich is just above 13/16” I was able to run 5/16” spacers on my truck without any problems with engagement. If you have short studs, and won’t have at least 13/16 engagement, then yes you’ll need longer studs

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
This is not going to improve your ride quality or handling in any way. In fact, rather, it will lessen.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run 2" Rough Country spacers on the back of my truck. I havent had an issue with them in 2 years. Rough Country has a few different width option as well.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/4" spacers are fine,and I run a pair myself. If you don't want to install longer studs. Then aftermarket rims with different offsets (front/rear) will address this issue even better...