Sway bar screwed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to test the rear sway bar? I think mine is shot.

I noticed a few years ago that the rear of my Tahoe seemed to sway when looking in the rear view when hitting slight bumps and going above 40. I also noticed that there was a honking sound comming from the back when my rear suspension settled after completely stopping. At first I thought someone was blowing there horn at me but I realized it was from my vehicle. I just figured it was the rear socks going out. When I first bought it I treated it like a prerunner and put some Jeeps to shame. Thank god I had Blisteen shocks.

I left it alone until I recently moved back to NC. I was towing a loaded uhaul 6x12 like I did a few times a year with no problem. This time was a nightmare. I was on 95 speeding to the 70 mph limit when my trailer started swaying everywhere. I could only drive 45 mph the 320 mile trip back to Bragg. To top it off it was new years eve. I was white about 20 minutes into the trip.

I thought maybe the load was just off and figured it would go away when the trailer was dropped off but the rear of the vehicle was still wagging on the way back home. I ckecked the socks using the bounce test and the rear right was bouncing four times so I replaced the rear ones. It rides better and can get to 55 but after that it is uncontrollable. I think it might be the rear sway bar. Is there a way to test it?

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the sway bar has anything to do with your problem. Sway bars keep the vehicle from leaning side to side when going around turns. I'd start by checking to see if you have a broken leaf in the spring pack and check all the bolts in the rear suspension. Also check the rear shackles and bolts. The bushings are probably pretty well worn by now and that would make it a little sloppy. Good luck. I hope this helps.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I just replaced the leaf springs last winter and have towed since then a few times and never had a problem. I will look when I get a chance though. I did notice that my vehicle almost slides on the axle when pushed from the side by hand. I will check the u-bolts also while I'm down there.

The only other thing I have really done lately is replace the tires. Maybe the sidewalks are weak and they need more air. They were only 20 a tire. 285/75r16 Cooper Discoverer ATR.

Last edited:

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Checked the springs and the ubolts. They are all good. Must be play in the sidewalls. I will have to air them to 45psi and see if it helps. I have never had a problem with Coopers before.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the tires might be part of the problem. I think maybe with the body lift could affect it too. Since the center of gravity is raised it won't handle the way it did before. At first I thought you didn't have enough tongue weight and that was the problem but you said it still didn't feel right even with the trailer off. Let me know what you find out.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I thought it was the tongue weight at first and shifted the load but it still didnt work. It did it even with no trailer. The BL was not causing it because I had it on the 9 years I owned it.

I did figure it out though. It was a combo of weak sidewalls and bad shocks. I aired all of my tires from 35 to 50 psi and the problem seems to have went away. I will confirm it on Wednesday when I tow a uhaul back home. I also swapped the old socks back on just for kicks and some of the play came back. It must of been a combo of both, but mostly the tires.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. I don't know about you but when I'm trying to figure something out like this it drives me crazy.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I was nearly committed into the local hospital. It was even worse because I always bragged about how it would tow just as good as my wife's GMT800 2500HD. It's all good now. I can brag once again!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Also glad it didn't cost a lot of money to get it right. Cheap fixes are the best.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
It's a GM. Anything is cheap compared to the Ram I have been working on. He decided to see how well water could compress in an engine cylinder. 7 rods later, 1 head, and 4 oil changes later he realized it was cheaper to buy an old Toyota.