swapping v6 for a vortec v8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 91 gmc 1500 single cab, reg cab. i am interested in swapping to a vortec v8 so i can pull the company trailers and i wanted to know whats in volved what will needed to be replaced or added, pricing, andf if its worth it or should i invest in a truck that already has enough power. thanks for looking.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering you have a 91, and the vortecs came out in 96, there would be some work to be done.
you would need all of your belted accessories for the engine, ac/alt etc.
and with it being a vortec going into a 91 you would need to do alot of extra wiring etc.

in my honest and utmost opinion, I would say try and trade off the 91 on a 96+. they can be had easily for around ~$4k on dealer lots, but cheaper from private owners. Do some looking around, if you were to trade in your truck and if your truck is paid off you may only need to dish out another 1500-2k for a Vortec, which is probably close to what you would spend trying to fit a vortec in your 91. Also you would be able to get a newer truck, a lottery possibility of a 14bolt, and quite a bit better color combinations.
Also, I would suggest going with an XCab, you may end up liking it and never go back to a regular cab.

My $.02

Reaction score
considering you have a 91, and the vortecs came out in 96, there would be some work to be done.
you would need all of your belted accessories for the engine, ac/alt etc.
and with it being a vortec going into a 91 you would need to do alot of extra wiring etc.

in my honest and utmost opinion, I would say try and trade off the 91 on a 96+. they can be had easily for around ~$4k on dealer lots, but cheaper from private owners. Do some looking around, if you were to trade in your truck and if your truck is paid off you may only need to dish out another 1500-2k for a Vortec, which is probably close to what you would spend trying to fit a vortec in your 91. Also you would be able to get a newer truck, a lottery possibility of a 14bolt, and quite a bit better color combinations.
Also, I would suggest going with an XCab, you may end up liking it and never go back to a regular cab.

My $.02

Greg's on the right track. Even if you do all the wrenching yourself the parts and labor would be more than what you could pick up a newer vortec truck for. I see them online and in the autotrader all day long in good shape with decent miles for $4000-$5000.

95_bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all your information. the only options im going with is putting a vortec v6 or wait 4 yrs for my wifes car to be paid off and get me a new truck with all the bells and whisles i want on it.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unless you find a donor truck for a stupid low price. that would be a great way to do that swap for cheap. get one that was in a rollover or somthing that has everything drive terrain wise in good condition.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you find a donor truck for a stupid low price. that would be a great way to do that swap for cheap. get one that was in a rollover or somthing that has everything drive terrain wise in good condition.

in that case he should just do a body swap instead of trying to shove that vortec into his older truck.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
get some helper bags and put in lower gears that would be 500$ or so and extremly simple make life easier on the engine and trans that is the cheap way to go more than likely the truck has 3:42's or higher gears( numarically lower) if you installed some 3:73's or some 4:10s it would pull a lot better than it does and would not lose a whole lot of fuel economy. that would be my choice because the vortec swap is going to be expencive just my $.02

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a V8, I'd stay away from the Vortec motors. It'd be alot easier to get a regular 350 and keep the TBI system.

And if you have 3.42s, switch to atleast 3.73s. You might want to go to 3.73s or 4.10s.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
If you want a V8, I'd stay away from the Vortec motors. It'd be alot easier to get a regular 350 and keep the TBI system.

And if you have 3.42s, switch to atleast 3.73s. You might want to go to 3.73s or 4.10s.

i am gonna second this comment..

95_bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the posts. im trying to figure out what to do. im living paycheck to paycheck and my wife is going to school and i have three kids. my hands are full and on top of all that my truck is acting up, it seems its misfiring but its not. thats why i posted the thread cause i need sugesstions on what to do. i cant afford another truck, or spend a lot of money in the truck, and im not that handy on vehicles.