Swapping AC compressor to Sanden

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turboedge

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As part of my swap from a TBI to an LS I also plan to change out the AC compressor to a Sanden unit. I was thinking that I would strap the old compressor with the hoses attached to something out of the way under the hood, mount and wire the new unit it, and then drive it to the shop with the AC tools when the truck was moving again.

Question is, can they pump down the system without the old pump spinning? Or maybe I should not even worry about that?

Thanks!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did this. Installed all new parts, drove it to mechanic, picked it up and had ice cold ac!

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The vehicle does not have to be running to do a evacuate and recharge. The machines shops have are automatic.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vehicle does not have to be running to do a evacuate and recharge.
To a certain extent on the recharge. You can get most of the refrigerant in but the last few ounces, you need the engine running to suck the "low" side down enough to finish the charge.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of my swap from a TBI to an LS I also plan to change out the AC compressor to a Sanden unit.

The LS hangs the compressor on bottom, passenger side, yes? Are you retaining that location or do you have brackets to mount the Sanden compressor in the GMT400-typical (top) location, albeit on an LS engine?

If not, is there a Sanden retrofit compressor for the LS engine (bottom, passenger's side)? I haven't looked.

Last edited:

turboedge

Reaction score
do you have brackets to mount the Sanden compressor in the GMT400-typical (top) location

Sorry for the delay, I missed your response some how.

I bought some brackets from Alan Grove for the top mount location, but they do have low mounts as well. I don't think those would fit in the truck though.