swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
nbs knuckle swap wouldnt be anymore price inetensive than the ssbc stuff and in the long run youd be saving money. plus you can even upgrade those to the 4 piston calipers and even larger brakes down the road.

any more info or write ups on this? What 4 piston calipers and big rotors can you use? Ive heard that the front knuckle swap from a hummer h3 can be done and gives big brakes for relatively cheap but have not seen this done.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im pretty sure H3 pieces will not work on a GMT400. The H3 is a GMT 345 chassis, which was based on the Chevy Colorado/Trailblazer GMT 350-370 chassis'. Most of the parts are specific to that chassis, even its 6 lug wheels are oddball-sized.. I think the only part that "might" be used off one, is the rarer Trailblazer SS 14 bolt SF axle, and Im positive the width, and mountings are completely off from a GMT400 chassis.

That said, the H2 was based on the '02 -'07 GMT800 2500HD chassis. (IIRC its designated as GMT 820?). This swap is feasible based on the other info in this thread, but I believe the rotor & caliper are just 2500HD spec pieces.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i wasnt responding to your post i was responding to the post that referred you to the nbs thread, considering an h3 shares similar chassis with a colorado and the smaller series trucks i dont see it being worth the hassle when you can upgrade to 14" rotors from a 2014 or so with the other swap.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat of a thread bump, but I'm confused. I've heard from other sites that the caliper size on an F44 optioned half ton (heavy half) is larger than a normal half ton. Any truth to this or are they the same as all the other half ton GMT's?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat of a thread bump, but I'm confused. I've heard from other sites that the caliper size on an F44 optioned half ton (heavy half) is larger than a normal half ton. Any truth to this or are they the same as all the other half ton GMT's?

Everything I've come to learn is the " heavy half" is the same as a " light 2500".....front brake system is the same.....different comp valve and rear axle.

The exception is the 1/2 ton diesel trucks have hydroboost.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
So they're larger than a normal half ton? I wasn't sure what the light duty 2500 calipers looked like. I just don't want to buy the wrong calipers when I replace mine.