swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew89/98

Reaction score
I have 1500 pads with 3500 1-ton calipers and a GMT800 master with the RWAL delete. That's what I am running. I have read the 2500 pads will rub. Never tried them myself. Yes you do have to stretch the inner pad retainer clip to get it to hold inside the bigger caliper piston.
Do you remember if the calipers you have are from the dual rear wheel 3500 or single rear wheel 3500?

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I picked 3500 1-ton 2wd frt disc/rr drum single rear wheels and went with the following part numbers. UCX 14-4010 and UCX 14-4011.

Reaction score
2500 pads fit fine on 1500 rotors, just like the calipers. Low GVW 2500's use same small piston caliper as 1/2tons. High GVW 2500's use same caliper as 1ton.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
when i first joined up here i did some research....as i wasn't familiar with the IFS platform. i built several K/5s and transformed many Harleys into extremely fast and great handling sleds with aftermarket systems designed to work in conjunction with each chosen part.....

the same principles apply to to these trucks......i found out that most components from the J5B are used in the J6B systems.....when i find my sf14 bolt i will build my '98 1500 rcsb into a J6B setup.....i said s much back then.

my rotors were warped when i got her and bought dimpled and slotted rotors from EBC with their "green" pads.....this new addition made a noticeable difference from stock.....coupled with the 2500LD rear and valve i believe i will have a quite capable braking SYSTEM.....i'm going to do all new parts sans the module/pump(i won't pay $700+ for a new one)......

i'm lured by the dual disk setup on my brother's new'00 short bed regular cab....the 800 trucks really do have a good system......i thought on chromo axles and disk conversion for my 10 bolt, but i've broken a few of those in my past, so a 14b just makes more sense,strength and braking wise.........i believe GM did all the R&D and it works well...especially a 3/4 ton setup in a little 1/2 ton.

the GMT800 knuckle with big rotors and dual piston calipers would be a better choice for large tires on a DD, SYSTEMS components.....and i think that's just overkill and too expensive for what i have and how i use it.

possibly the SSBC(?) front and rear setups together would be great, but you're looking at big $$$$.....i will research more before i pull the trigger in the 14 bolt sf though............just my thought from the porch.

i got 17" rims 1) because i like the way they look. i'm kinda a "stocker" guy....and 2) i can put big rotors up front if i go that route.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
nbs knuckle swap wouldnt be anymore price inetensive than the ssbc stuff and in the long run youd be saving money. plus you can even upgrade those to the 4 piston calipers and even larger brakes down the road.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
nbs knuckle swap wouldnt be anymore price inetensive than the ssbc stuff and in the long run youd be saving money. plus you can even upgrade those to the 4 piston calipers and even larger brakes down the road.

yes sir, thanks.......

i always try to provide myself with options, for now or down the road......my education was quite expensive if i look at all the things i did in the past without knowing WHY or WHAT actually motivated me to to them. having too much money was never part of that equation.....when i was 8 years old, my father told me that a poor man can't afford to buy cheap tools..........perfect example was my VERY recent transmission swap. in my defense though, i was not given correct information from multiple sources.....and these sources were the one's that actually MADE the damned products i chose to use.

information is key, knowledge is power........and making choices based on an HONEST appraisal of one's needs and or requirements is the single most important factor....in my little opinion.

yes, i get philosophical about every-damned-thing.......i guess it's a side effect of becoming an old fu@ker.

a long time ago, in the construction field, i came to understand.....if you don't have the time or resources to do it right the first time, where are you going to find the time and resources to it AGAIN.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Has anybody actually tried the 2500 pads with the 2500 calipers and 6 lug rotors? Look in the parts catalog's, they specify the 370 pads instead of the 369's of the regular 1500's for the police package that uses the larger 3.15" piston 2500 calipers instead of the 2.94" 1500 calipers. When I looked through the catalogs, I couldn't find a different knuckle listed for the police package, so I'm trying to understand why everybody is sticking with the different pads. Theres not much difference between the 369 and 370's though really except for the tab that locks it into the caliper piston, but the outer pad is a bit more substantial than the 1500's. Heres the 3 pads from left to right, 1500, SRW, and DRW.
You must be registered for see images attach

the outer pad may be different because the bigger piston moves less distance because of fluid volume.....see michael's post # 5 here:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/96-burban-calipers-upgrade.36785/#post-942664

makes sense to me when i just read it.

SubWarrior

Reaction score