Swap new engine into 98 k1500, will AFM work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here but I've got some questions, and then likely a lot of follow up questions.

First I'll fill you in on my situation:
I've got a 98 k1500 with the 5.7L, silverado trim. But it's getting pretty old/slow (its at about 330,000 km) and I'd like to upgrade it. My first idea was to put in the HT383E, but after a lot of reading over the past couple of days I've decided against that. So now I've come to a point where I want to put in a newer generation engine, but which one? So that's where my first two questions come in.

1) I would like to have the Active Fuel Management (AFM) that is on the Gen IV (4) and V (5) models, but I have no idea if that will work. I've read a lot of posts of people putting in the LQ4 and LQ9 engines, but what about the newer ones? Is it a good idea (I realize anything is possible, but I want to know if it will be significantly more work or not).

2) And then my other question has to do with transmissions. Everyone always talks about the engine swap, but what happens with the transmission? Is it easy to keep the new/better transmission?

Sorry if these questions are dumb but I'm pretty new to this and I'm looking to learn as much as I can before committing to anything (I have a GM mechanic friend who be doing the work for me, so I want to be informed before talking to him). I've always been interested in this sort of thing but never really learnt much, so now I'm trying to learn something. Any and all advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.