Suspension questions newb aussie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desperado

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 1990 GMC C1500, My truck was lowered before I bought it. I don't understand the process very much and I have a couple of questions.
My end game is to get the truck back to stock and then lift it 4 inches.

My first question is how is the rear lowered in my attached photo.
As far as I can tell it seems the person has put the axle over the top of the leafs and notched the chassis to allow for travel.
Have any leafs been removed??

If I put the leafs over the top of the axle will that be stock and then ready for lifting blocks.

As for the front I assume someone has just put drop coils in. Is this correct?

Would I need to buy stock coils to suit the rough country 4 inch lift or could I possibly buy spacers to bring them back to stock height and then ready for the lift spindles.

(I know in the US it would be preferable to buy a K1500 but in Australia these trucks are still $25,000 so a lift is my only option for now)

Sorry these trucks are rare in Australia and its very hard to find info.

If I have put this in the wrong thread I am sorry.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 1990 GMC C1500, My truck was lowered before I bought it. I don't understand the process very much and I have a couple of questions.
My end game is to get the truck back to stock and then lift it 4 inches.

My first question is how is the rear lowered in my attached photo.
As far as I can tell it seems the person has put the axle over the top of the leafs and notched the chassis to allow for travel.
Have any leafs been removed??

If I put the leafs over the top of the axle will that be stock and then ready for lifting blocks.

As for the front I assume someone has just put drop coils in. Is this correct?

Would I need to buy stock coils to suit the rough country 4 inch lift or could I possibly buy spacers to bring them back to stock height and then ready for the lift spindles.

(I know in the US it would be preferable to buy a K1500 but in Australia these trucks are still $25,000 so a lift is my only option for now)

Sorry these trucks are rare in Australia and its very hard to find info.

If I have put this in the wrong thread I am sorry.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

That’s a flip kit. Springs are supposed to go on top of the axle. As far as the front it’s probably either drop springs or drop spindles.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has a flip kit in the back, there's a good chance it has drop springs and drop spindles in the front.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has a flip kit in the back, there's a good chance it has drop springs and drop spindles in the front.
Almost surely this ^^^ as the flip kit out back is a 6" drop, the accompanying front drop is usually 4" and that would be drop spindles and drop springs, or possibly a combo using drop lower control arms (will be obvious as they won't be the factory stamped piece anymore.)

Drop spindle pretty easy to identify as the axle stub will be higher up in the casting; stock has it near the center. You can see this from the rear of the spindle without any disassembly.

To answer your rear spring question, that appears to be the factory spring pack with no leaves removed. Stock 1500's have 3 leafs plus 1 overload. A few were optioned with the heavy duty suspension that has 1 extra leaf, similar to the "light duty" 2500's (6 lug 2500) pack.

Stock u-bolt saddles and u-bolts (use new ones only; do not re-use old u-bolts) and putting the axle back under the spring will correct the rear height.

Richard

Desperado

Reaction score
Thanks heaps guys! I have been doing alot. Refurbishing everything in the process with new paint and new bushings everywhere! Hopefully it will drive like a new car!