Suburban Bumper build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
In a step towards making the suburban into an overland trail rig, I found the time to improve my metal working skills and have some fun.

Inspired by this thread http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...ations/482457-drisco-builds-bumper-again.html

This was the old set up

You must be registered for see images attach

PIcked a this 5” ¼in thickness box tube from a scrap yard for $80. This bumper is much stronger than the frame, hope to god I never have to put that to the test.

Fired up the plasma and got to chopping.

I used scraps of the box tube to make the mounts. It bolts directly to the frame. Used a mig welder.

Mounted two 18,000 D rings and a front hitch receiver for winch and other fun possibilities. Then made two v notches and got it red hot with the torch (off the truck of course) to make some bends

Next we added some lower panels out of 12 gauge sheet followed by lots and lots of grinding

Sand Blasted

2 coats of primer, 2 coats of spray on bed liner. I decided that was way easier than powder coating and much easier to touch up should dings or modifications occur. Plus I think the finish looks really cool.

Boom. We got a bumper

Cranked the T bars just a bit to level it. Approach angle is wayyy better already. If you look at the shadow you can see the gap between bumper and body. Its not as bad as it looks.

Made a mount for the licence plate into the hitch receiver and added a light bar.

Later down the road I may add some more to the top for protection / catching deer, but for now i'm pretty happy with it. Backing trailers with a front hitch is fun.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Nice job, although a bit heavy for my tastes... I don't venture off the pavement too much. Like the plate mount in the receiver, might have to put that idea in the memory bank for later recall.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
DAMN that looks amazing!!! Doesn't stick out too far either PERFECT!