stuck torsion bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvst8err

Reaction score
Where did you get the new lca? And how much was it? Ive triedalmost everything now its getting rediculous! Does anyone know if its easier to take the bar out of the key or the lca?

Is the L CA still bolted to the frame? Can't tell from the picture.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I was working on a 2002 rusty Ford this year and took a torch and cut the control arm off around the torsion bar and replaced the lower control arm. I had tried it all like you, heat, air chisel, hammer, etc.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No everything is taken apart on the front driver side, had to take it all apart to get rid of rust/replace parts or bushings. Yea theyre brutal to get out! They need to come up with a better tool or method or just get rid of torsion keys all together! Where didyou get the lca 884x4310ci?

GMTNZ

Reaction score
Im doing a partial front end resto on my 1990 k2500, but cant get the torsion bar, torsion key or lower control arm off. Ive tried pb, wd40, no name penatrating lubes, rust evaporaters, just about everything i could think of atleast 3 times each, and tried to beat on the torsion bar from the back of truck going to the front with a sludge hammer, tried again with come along pulling the lower control am forward, even tried a jack held up horizontally hasnt moved at all! Almost getting ready to just give up and move on to something else, but it will bug me forever knowing i couldnt get it out. Please let me know if you know of any tricks or other methods i could try!

I've just fitting Realift torsion bar relocation blocks to my 93 K1500 SCSB with an older style pro-comp lift. Big job.
Passenger bar wouldn't budge out of the LCA. Three days of WD40 later I eventually got it out, with the arm still installed.
I reverse cranked it with a large crescent and trolley jack, a block under the bump stop (to stop the wheel lifting) and a piece of steel between the frame and the LCA where the bush is and whacked the cross member end of the bar with a large hammer, couple of hits she shifted!
The shock wave is the secret
I was considering welding a large nut with the same size hex into the end of the LCA so then you could screw in a big bolt, load it up and give that a hit as you drive it out, once out you could fill up with grease and cap off with a short bolt!
Just a thought.