stuck torsion bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im doing a partial front end resto on my 1990 k2500, but cant get the torsion bar, torsion key or lower control arm off. Ive tried pb, wd40, no name penatrating lubes, rust evaporaters, just about everything i could think of atleast 3 times each, and tried to beat on the torsion bar from the back of truck going to the front with a sludge hammer, tried again with come along pulling the lower control am forward, even tried a jack held up horizontally hasnt moved at all! Almost getting ready to just give up and move on to something else, but it will bug me forever knowing i couldnt get it out. Please let me know if you know of any tricks or other methods i could try!

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Im doing a partial front end resto on my 1990 k2500, but cant get the torsion bar, torsion key or lower control arm off. Ive tried pb, wd40, no name penatrating lubes, rust evaporaters, just about everything i could think of atleast 3 times each, and tried to beat on the torsion bar from the back of truck going to the front with a sludge hammer, tried again with come along pulling the lower control am forward, even tried a jack held up horizontally hasnt moved at all! Almost getting ready to just give up and move on to something else, but it will bug me forever knowing i couldnt get it out. Please let me know if you know of any tricks or other methods i could try!

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to keep a bit of force pulling the lca forward while hitting a piece or rebar in the hole of the subframe that holds the torsion key

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Both of mine were stuck too when I wanted to replace LCA bushings. I ended up giving up and burning out the rubber and replacing with Poly.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try brake fluid...it eats rust (and paint-be careful). Old machinists trick. Let it sit for a day. I'd heat the area of the lower control arm around the torsion bar carefully with a plumbers torch to expand the metal. Hopefully that will work.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to get the bar out of the lca to sand the frame mounts it gets bolted to. I guess i may as well do the bushings while im there though. Thank ill try the brake fluid tomorrow, im not too concerned about paint its all coming off anyway

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I ended up using an oxy acetylene torch and the biggest hammer I could find. I also soaked mine in wd40 for about 3 days prior. theyre not fun to say the least.

dvst8err

Reaction score
I just took one off, drop out the a arm bolts, knock the a arm down and out, then have an assistant pull the a arm out away from the truck, beat the a arm forward, it will come apart from the torsion bar. I had to use the 20lb hammer on the passenger

You must be registered for see images attach

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to cut mine out, needed to replace the lower A arms anyways.and then got new keys.
I filled the inside of the keys and A arms with never seez. Not sure if it will do any difference down the road. Or if I will ever take it apart again. BUT I felt better putting it on.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to cut mine out, needed to replace the lower A arms anyways.and then got new keys.
I filled the inside of the keys and A arms with never seez. Not sure if it will do any difference down the road. Or if I will ever take it apart again. BUT I felt better putting it on.
Where did you get the new lca? And how much was it? Ive triedalmost everything now its getting rediculous! Does anyone know if its easier to take the bar out of the key or the lca?