Street/Performance Brake Pad Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey guys!
so I'm about to change out my front brake pads before i move off in august, but i'm not sure what would be a good brand or type.
i would like a good street/performance pad that has good initial bite, good holding, but also leaves very minimal dust. I'm not sure if you can get all of that in one pad or not :shrug:
i looked at several ceramics from different brands. Just was gonna see what you guys had.
My truck is a half ton ext cab which is also lowered. no motor work (so it doesn't go fast haha) just a spacer and open filter. I also live in Mississippi so it's pretty hot year round.

You must be registered for see images

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You sacrifice one for the other, pretty much, regardless of advertising claims. If you want aggressive bite you'll get dust, because it will be with a semimetallic compound. If you don't keep that dust clean, it will eat your nice wheels. So on the other hand if you want minimal dust, you're going ceramic.

Good ceramics stop very well and are quiet. I'd say anybody running alloy wheels and not doing all-out racing or heavy duty towing would benefit from ceramics. I've got Wagner Thermoquiet on my 300C SRT8, my Intimidator Silverado SS, and I used ... ermmm... Bendix? also ceramic on my wife's Silverado SS.

Other things you can do to improve your braking performance. Make sure everything is up to par. Rear brakes in good shape and adjusted properly (and periodically adjusted), brake thoroughly fluid flushed out and replaced with fresh (it absorbs water from the atmosphere - twofold issue it contributes to corrosion inside the system, and also is compressible where the brake fluid is not, contributing to mushiness), flex hoses replaced if they're old, and a really solid bleed job.

Richard

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
You sacrifice one for the other, pretty much, regardless of advertising claims. If you want aggressive bite you'll get dust, because it will be with a semimetallic compound. If you don't keep that dust clean, it will eat your nice wheels. So on the other hand if you want minimal dust, you're going ceramic.

Good ceramics stop very well and are quiet. I'd say anybody running alloy wheels and not doing all-out racing or heavy duty towing would benefit from ceramics. I've got Wagner Thermoquiet on my 300C SRT8, my Intimidator Silverado SS, and I used ... ermmm... Bendix? also ceramic on my wife's Silverado SS.

Other things you can do to improve your braking performance. Make sure everything is up to par. Rear brakes in good shape and adjusted properly (and periodically adjusted), brake thoroughly fluid flushed out and replaced with fresh (it absorbs water from the atmosphere - twofold issue it contributes to corrosion inside the system, and also is compressible where the brake fluid is not, contributing to mushiness), flex hoses replaced if they're old, and a really solid bleed job.

Richard

Thanks a lot. Yea i've primarily looked at ceramics, i found some Power Stop "sport" ceramics that i was interested in. Most of my brakes have been redone because the guy who owned it before had to redo the lines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-z23-369/overview/year/1993/make/chevrolet/model/c1500
link if anyone wanted to look at them.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just order the powerstop heavy duty truck an tow calipers ceramic brake pads and drilled an slotted rotors. Should be here next week and hopefully on next weekend. I'll let you know how good they are, also summit had them back ordered but rockauto had in stock an for 30 cheaper

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I just order the powerstop heavy duty truck an tow calipers ceramic brake pads and drilled an slotted rotors. Should be here next week and hopefully on next weekend. I'll let you know how good they are, also summit had them back ordered but rockauto had in stock an for 30 cheaper

Sounds good! I want some drilled and slotted rotors but i'm not going to fool with it until i need new rotors. From what i understand heavy duty produce more brake dust? But those are ceramic so i have no clue.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm doing it all at once cause my rotors are warped anyways and it's the family hauler so it needs some much needed love to stay. Rockauto has them as part Powerstop KC197036 listed at 231
Don't know have dust will be but I drive alot of dusty roads anyways so I usually clean em off once every other week

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Yea I get where you're coming from
I'll probably stick with more of a lighter based pad since mine isn't heavy or be hauling anything.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put Power Stop AR8625XPR drilled, slotted rotors and Raybestos ATD369M semi metallic pads and replaced the calipers with Power Stop S4299 on my 1998 Chevy C1500. Huge increase in stopping power at the pedal...the spongie-ness is gone!

Need to get a baseline on the dust output because I never cleaned up the wheels post install to see what the new accumulation was.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
R1 Concepts is well liked around here, they have a stock style rotor/pad kit I am thinking of going with on my 98 2wd. Or maybe AC Delco coated rotors with Hawk ceramic brake pads.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No actual benefit to marketing hype rotors, especially drilled, frozen, catturd-cryo-bead-blasted, etc. Some slight benefit to slotted as it helps prevent pad material buildup on the rotor which can cause vibration and make you think the rotor is warped. Drilled rotors were for old school racing pad compounds that emitted lots of gas. No longer an issue. Stick with quality brand name OEM-style rotors. Wagner, Raybestos, etc. Or if your OEM rotors are still in good shape just keep them.

Richard