Strawberry milkshake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burpin94

Reaction score
The cooler in the radiator let go Thursday. I had a little slipping in first pulling away from a light. So I pulled into the nearest parking lot. It happened to be a walmart and I needed a couple things so I went inside. When I came back out I noticed pink frothy stuff dripping from the passenger front. Popped the hood and found it was coming from the expansion tank over flow. Pulled the trans dip stick and found the same type stuff. I had it towed the 5 miles to my house. Circumstances wouldn't let me touch it for 20 hours. But when I did I went for it. I ran 12 gallons of tranny fluid through. Till the fluid looked clean. Then I dropped the pan and changed the filter.
So after a new radiator, flushing the block and heater cores with who knows how many gallons of water, detergent, simple green I was able to take it for a ride and all seems normal.
What are the chances this thing is a ticking time bomb?
Should I do a pan drop and filter again in few days?
94 k1500 burb 4l60e.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You may be OK. Sounds like the transmission fluid only went into the radiator, vs. coolant getting into the transmission. As long as you didn't see that same strawberry milkshake on the transmission dipstick, I would not worry.

If you DID see it on the dipstick...go ahead and start saving for that rebuild.

Richard

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you would have any problems sounds like you did what any one else would do. Sounds like what any shop would do. You didn't drive it very long like that.

burpin94

Reaction score
I'm dropping the pan again after work today. The tranny seems to be working fine but I don't have tc lockup in od. Codes 59 and 67. Changing tc lockup solenoid, pressure switch assy and filter again just for good measure. I'll be able to inspect pan and magnet as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could you let us know the single most important thing, was the fluid on the dipstick or in the pan the same strawberry milkshake that you saw in the coolant reservoir? I'm starting to think it probably was or you wouldn't have been tempted to flush the trans with so much fresh fluid.

Seriously, if coolant mixed with the fluid IN the trans, it's a goner.

Richard

burpin94

Reaction score
Yes it was in the pan. I just replaced the tcc solenoid and the manual valve position switch. Got a couple codes and od wouldn't lock the tc.