strange noise hitting gas from rearend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, recently ive started having strange problems. When I hit the gas from a red light, I hear a loud clank from the rearend. Its not an every time occurence, just every once and awhile. Also when this happens, if I let off the gas in drive, the truck sits still. Its definitely coming from the axle or rear brakes. Anyone have an idea as to what it is? Thanks

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
jack the rear of the truck up so the wheels are off the ground (use jack stands)twist the driveshaft by hand and watch the movement of the ujoint.watch this video its a little long but shows how to check them http://youtu.be/OVC76dSBNnY

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could also be brake pads hanging up inside the drum.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How can I fix the brake pads hanging? I think that is more or less the cause; it doesn't do it all the time but enough to concern me.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have this same noise. Hope it goes away when I swap rears. Its not the U joints. I checked them