Strange electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morrisman1701

Reaction score
I have been having a weird electrical issue with my truck (1995 Sierra 5.7). Occasionally when I go to start it, I will hear a clicking noise (like the starter is trying to engage but won't). Note this isn't a typical dead battery clicking, but instead one click and nothing else. If I keep cycling the ignition switch, it will usually eventually turn over and start. Sometimes though it won't start at all without a jump. Replaced the starter. No help there. Replaced the battery. Nope. Replaced the wires between the starter and the battery and the alternator and the battery. Negative. Replaced the alternator. Still no. I've now chased it as far a I know to. Now here's the really strange part. It is worse when it's cool out (less than 55 or so), regardless of how long I've run the truck. I'm out of ideas and it's beginning to get really frustrating. Hopefully someone can help!

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd start by checking the ground from the battery to the engine. The starter gets its ground from there, so you might have some corrosion around the ground wire.

VALBOLSKI

Reaction score
Any updates on this issue? I just bought a 1995 sierra with the same issue, took the starter off, then have the local auto store test it, and it tested good. I've been trying to track down the problem.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been having a weird electrical issue with my truck (1995 Sierra 5.7). Occasionally when I go to start it, I will hear a clicking noise (like the starter is trying to engage but won't). Note this isn't a typical dead battery clicking, but instead one click and nothing else. If I keep cycling the ignition switch, it will usually eventually turn over and start. Sometimes though it won't start at all without a jump. Replaced the starter. No help there. Replaced the battery. Nope. Replaced the wires between the starter and the battery and the alternator and the battery. Negative. Replaced the alternator. Still no. I've now chased it as far a I know to. Now here's the really strange part. It is worse when it's cool out (less than 55 or so), regardless of how long I've run the truck. I'm out of ideas and it's beginning to get really frustrating. Hopefully someone can help!

Bad/worn ignition switch?

Reaction score
Redue all of your ground connections. Battery to frame body to engine , eveyone you can find in the engine compartment.also wire brush where your starter mounts to the block. Sometimes when one starts changing components they introduce a new one that is bad and compounds the problem. You need to learn to chase the ghost, aka find the bad ground. I do not believe in luck but I do believe in trouble shooting. A multimeter is your best friend.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet its an oxidized battery terminal or bad ground. I put in two brand new grounds when I did the swap in my truck a while back. The factory grounds are hidden under the A/C accumulator.

ThundahBeagle

Reaction score
Any possibility your starter gear or flywheel is missing a tooth? Maybe the problem is intermittent because you only sometimes land on the bald spot and the starter gear jumps out (one click) but has nothing with which to engage? Maybe cycling through it a few times finally pushes it to a place where the gears can connect again?