Straight Pipe W/Cats Question. Help Would Be Much Appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
So I have a 1998 K1500 Regular Cab Step Side with a stock 350, stock cats, and an (4' Tall x 18" long body) IMCO muffler (dual 2.25" in, dual 2.25" out) the whole system is dual 2.25" pipe that goes to two 3.5"x18" tips that are cut at an angle.

What I am looking to do is keep my stock cats and just put 2 pieces of exhaust pipe in place of the muffler and just attach them with exhaust clamps. (Just incase I would ever want to go back to my old muffler or put a new one(s) in its place)

But I am wondering how bad (and/or what) the drone level would be inside the cab while cruising down the highway/around town with the windows up? (I'm not really worried about the level with them down lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Reid

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
The drone will be very annoying, especially without a crossover. Going to be very loud and choppy. personally id stick with mufflers or atlas a crossover pipe, but thats just me. Some people like to be heard :headbang:

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
I know it's going to be loud and drone lol.

My goal is for the truck to be louder (lol) but not drone much inside the cab

But I'm wondering how intense/much drone there will be?

Also the thing is I don't want to shell out $80+ on a muffler (or redo the whole system from the cats back).

I have looked into the Cherry Bomb Vortex because it's a relatively economical muffler and is about the size I need. But I don't know if it's going to be any louder than my current muffler?

1998 Chevy K1500 RCSS Z71

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the tail pipes exit out the back, shouldn't drone too bad. I would put in an x pipe in place of the muffler. Should clean up the sound some

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking (Jorge6.5)

But does anyone make an x-pipe that is 2.25"?

Maybe I should just get cut outs. haha

minicooperzoom

RCSS' Rule!
Reaction score
Hmm Good to know. Thanks Jorge6.5. I started searching too and cherry bomb also makes one in 2.25"

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look on eBay they have high flow Magnaflow Cats at a super prices compare to buying them at a muffler shop I put one on my truck and it was to loud or the glass pack one in two out was because of the better flow so I went with a Flowmaster muffler.

I found this seller performance-curve that has a three inch Cat for $46.50 that's a good deal someone jump on it.