Stock???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone. This is my first post so bare with me. I just bought a 2000 k2500 w/ 5.7 and a 5-speed manual trans. The exhaust consists of stock manifolds going to two cats. The cats go into one big muffler that has only one outlet. The pipe out of muffler turns down in front of axle. Is this just a stock setup with the pipe cut in front of axle. It actually has a pretty good rumble to it. But I was thinking more on the lines of magnaflows going out the back. Any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated.
Also when getting inspected, does the 2000 year model have to have catalytic converters?
Thanks, Scotty

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is not a stock setup. There was absolutely no rumble to the stock muffler. On the K2500's they used 2-3/4" primaries from the manifolds back to the muffler where they usually had a single 2.5" tail pipe exiting behind the right rear tire. Probably the worst truck exhaust ever designed. It sounds to me like the P/O hacked the original muffler and welded in something with a bit more flow and cheaped out on the tail pipe and put in a turn down. Usually you end up with really crappy drone if you cut out under the bed because it turns the truck bed into a reverberation chamber. There's a seller on eBay who does a fantastic job with exhaust kits. I just bought a muffler, 3" tail pipe and a nice stainless tip for my truck for $186.00

https://www.ebay.com/usr/performance-curve?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I don't have any proof of this but from what I've read, deleting the cats wont gain you much since the ones on your truck are already 3" body with a straight through honey comb design. Unless they are plugged I wouldn't risk deleting them. I don't have emissions testing where I live but in most cases, if your vehicle was built with cats, you'll probably need to have them installed to pass. What ****** me off is reading about people who spend hundreds or more to keep their gas trucks clean, but the moron kids with their diesel trucks drive around blowing black smoke with no recourse.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a stock setup. There was absolutely no rumble to the stock muffler. On the K2500's they used 2-3/4" primaries from the manifolds back to the muffler where they usually had a single 2.5" tail pipe exiting behind the right rear tire. Probably the worst truck exhaust ever designed. It sounds to me like the P/O hacked the original muffler and welded in something with a bit more flow and cheaped out on the tail pipe and put in a turn down. Usually you end up with really crappy drone if you cut out under the bed because it turns the truck bed into a reverberation chamber. There's a seller on eBay who does a fantastic job with exhaust kits. I just bought a muffler, 3" tail pipe and a nice stainless tip for my truck for $186.00

I don't have any proof of this but from what I've read, deleting the cats wont gain you much since the ones on your truck are already 3" body with a straight through honey comb design. Unless they are plugged I wouldn't risk deleting them. I don't have emissions testing where I live but in most cases, if your vehicle was built with cats, you'll probably need to have them installed to pass. What ****** me off is reading about people who spend hundreds or more to keep their gas trucks clean, but the moron kids with their diesel trucks drive around blowing black smoke with no recourse.

I don't have any proof of this but from what I've read, deleting the cats wont gain you much since the ones on your truck are already 3" body with a straight through honey comb design. Unless they are plugged I wouldn't risk deleting them. I don't have emissions testing where I live but in most cases, if your vehicle was built with cats, you'll probably need to have them installed to pass. What ****** me off is reading about people who spend hundreds or more to keep their gas trucks clean, but the moron kids with their diesel trucks drive around blowing black smoke with no recourse.[/QUOTE

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, thanks for reply. You're right it's not stock. Exhaust guy looked at it and says I have a Flowmaster muffler. Also, he says it's a classic body style 2000,(whatever that means. I'm researching and trying to figure that out). And that these 5.7's came with two cats. Hence the two in one out muffler. He also said cats sound gutted. So for right now I'm just going to run exhaust out the side to get some of the noise out from under the cab. Thanks again for reply.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Classic body style 2000 is just the GMT400 platform trucks that continued for the 1999 and 2000 model years when the half ton pickups were replaced with the GMT800 platform (see 1999-2007 silverado 1500 for an example). To the best of my knowledge, you could still get a C/K1500 in '99 but they were being phased out. The only way you could get a 1 ton in 1999 and 2000 was to buy the GMT400 platform C/K3500 before it was replaced in 2001 with the Silverado 3500HD. There was crossover on the 3/4 ton trucks but IIRC the early Silverado 2500 trucks were a 1/2 ton pickup chassis and frame with a 6.0L engine, 4l80E trans, and 3/4 ton running gear.

scopor0

Reaction score
I had a 99’ OBS 2500 that seemed to be built from left overs. Most of the truck was fitted with 3500 components. It had the 3500 front end and cooling system, and a 2500 rear end. I had the 5.7L gas pot in it. It was a great truck, was pretty much bullet proof but was a pain to do repairs on, until i figured out that it was a factory Frankenstein. A lot of trips to return the wrong parts. In todays market my 2500 would be a 2500HD but they didn’t call it HD in 99. Chevy made some interesting trucks in the change over years. Had a buddy with a OBS CCLB 2000 2500 that was built with all 3500 components, including the full floating rear axle. Seems to me they couldn’t certify a single rear wheel truck as a 3500 at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I had a 99’ OBS 2500 that seemed to be built from left overs. Most of the truck was fitted with 3500 components. It had the 3500 front end and cooling system, and a 2500 rear end. I had the 5.7L gas pot in it. It was a great truck, was pretty much bullet proof but was a pain to do repairs on, until i figured out that it was a factory Frankenstein. A lot of trips to return the wrong parts. In todays market my 2500 would be a 2500HD but they didn’t call it HD in 99. Chevy made some interesting trucks in the change over years. Had a buddy with a OBS CCLB 2000 2500 that was built with all 3500 components, including the full floating rear axle. Seems to me they couldn’t certify a single rear wheel truck as a 3500 at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There were definitely single rear wheel 3500s and a full float is not uncommon in a 2500 either

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right, but chevy made both a 1500HD (2001 and on) and a 2500 which were the same truck. The 2500 was the first iteration of the truck and had the half ton grill.
First chance I get, I'll post up some pics and show ya'll exactly what she looks like. It actually does have the feeling of a 1500. But it has 8 lug wheels, a 5 speed manual, really low gearing (or seems to me), and what looks like about 7 leafs in each stack. But, I feel like it was a good deal for my son and I to fix up a little for his first ride.