Stereo Installation Options and Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithT937

Reaction score
I've got a '95 extended cab Z71 with buckets and the center console. I'm in the process of putting in a double din, an amp and two powered subs in addition to replacing the factory speakers. I'm looking for advice on where to stick everything. I had intended to put the powered subs under the front seats but there's no clearance with the power mechanism on the drivers side and the passenger has no room either.
I could use manual seat risers and have plenty of room but I really don't want to give up powered seats. So far the only other place to put the subs is under the rear seat to the outside on either side of the cab. I've already removed the box for the jack. I am then planning on mounting the amp in the center under the seat. My biggest dilemma is that I had a brain fart and bought some 6x9's for the rear. I really want to use these speakers but of course the rear cab corners take 4x6's. If I didn't have to mount the subs under the rear seat I would get a couple of enclosures for the 6x9's and mount them there. Has anybody cut out the rear corners to accent 6x9's or am I missing any other good spots to mount everything?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My two cents...

Sell the 6x9s, get some decent 4" components for the rear...

Sell the powered subs... Get some decent shallow mount 12"s for under the rear seats...

Run all the mids and highs straight off the head unit, get a nice class D amp for the 12"s. Mount it under one of the front seats. This is another case of making things hard on yourself by trying to restrict yourself to what you have on hand. Do it right the first time.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
+1 on getting subs for under the seat.
Get one of those under the seat boxes and put two 12's or two 10's in. Most boxes have about 1 cubic foot air space so find some subs that work well with that, mount the amp under the seat or wherever you like. Replace the door speakers and Replace back speakers but if you can't directly replace them maybe you could get creative and put some different size ones somewhere else.
Run a HPF on mids and highs and let your bass come from subs.
I believe the sound quality will be a lot better and if you ever want to change it then it won't be as hard.
No sense in trying to go crazy if you aren't planning on building a full blown component system, keep it simple and light on yourself.

Reaction score
Instead of the risk of breaking panels and the labor to pull the entire rear section of trim i cut out the 4x6 rear pillar speakers the kiddos 94 chevy and installed 6x9 speakers. Used a set of mid level kickers that had a decent looking cover. In the fronts we used polk 4x6 plate speakers. It would shine with a good 300w amp to them. I put a 1500w amp under the moddle jump seat and used a prefab down fire box with 2 10" speakers. Its not going to win awards but it works. Better subs would help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My setup in a 98 K1500 consists of a Pioneer AVH-1330NEX in the Dash, Pioneer 6 3/4 4-Ways in the front doors, Pioneer 4x6 3-Ways in the rear Pillars, a Pioneer 10” SVC under the rear driver seat in a box I got from Sonic Electronics (gotta find the depth for it again), and a Pioneer 300W Mono Amp. I actually made my own Amp Rack and it sits under the rear seat next to the sub box. I’ll get you a picture if you want, but so far, it works great for me. It is nice and clear for the highs, and the sub hits the lows pretty hard, without distortion in the louder volumes.

As far as the rears, I wanted to do 6x9s too, but I have kids that sit in the rear and I thought 6x9s would be too much for them (right in the ears). That said, I have seen setups where they do cut the metal and put 6x9s in the hole, and either cutting the trim and using the grille that comes with the speaker or staying stock looking.

You can do 6x9s, but it is going to take a lot of work to get them in. I’d say get some good 4x6s and throw them in the pillars and call it done. If you get some good ones in the doors (front door/tweeters) and in the pillars, put your HPF on and let the speakers handle the high frequencies, and let the sub(s) handle the lows.