Stepside bed rail!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I've been searching about bed rail removal on a stepside and what I've come up with is that you have to cut them out? Anyone else find a different way to remove these so I can repair a few rust patches that are starting. I'll be removing my the box next weekend to start some frame rust removal and painting it black. All tips and info much appreciated!!!!!

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
yes.. if you check out my thread for the repair.. you will see that I went into the rebuild quite extensive, the SS bed rails are part of the whole bed side.. unless you intend on putting in patches... the only way to get rid of the rust is to cut them out... what you may think is only a "Few Rust Spots" will actually be more than you expect.. much more.. Don't ask how I know.. lol... I may not have shown a lot of finer details.. but I used rails from a fleetside.. and modded them to fit the stepside... the tricky part to using fleetside rails is getting them folded like the SS bed are.. be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra material below the factory crease... and cut the excess after you will drill those later to bolt back on.... I actually welded bolts in.. so I could add the nuts from underneath.. good luck with your build.. don't hesitate to ask.. if you need some help... and I'll try to

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great info ddaxe! I was dreading having to cut it out but I think a patch just won't satisfy my OCD. So do you know if the smc stepside panels can be removed without cutting?
You must be registered for see images attach

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The SMC sides will unbolt and separate from the rest of the bed, there are bolts behind the tail lights, along the front panel of the bed, and inside th wheels wells as far as I know.. I'm really hoping I can do this project someday as well as my rails have been in better shape.