step side roll pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I ordered a roll pan for my step side, it showed up and I'm trying to figure out why it has the strange ends on both side, where a fleet side is just straight.
Looking at pictures in the interweb it looks like people keep the ends, so I have a few questions since i can't find a write up on installation or a video thats not a fleet side.

so if someone can fill in the blanks for me it would be great.

1. Why are the ends on the roll pan?
2. If keeping the wings do they just go over the ends of the fiberglass bed sides and get bolted on?
3. Both wing side have a draft flange that would stop them from laying flat. Make me think I need to fu the fiberglass bed ends to fit the pan, is this correct?

if anyone has links to info on stepsides please pass it along.

thanks everyone!

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Remove the bumper and the rollpan should fit right in place with maybe a little trimming. My steel rollpan needed some trimming to make it fit as the company who made it did not do a good job. I have it just screwed in place for now. Eventually want to use some SMC and bond it to the bed.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the bumper and the rollpan should fit right in place with maybe a little trimming. My steel rollpan needed some trimming to make it fit as the company who made it did not do a good job. I have it just screwed in place for now. Eventually want to use some SMC and bond it to the bed.
how did you fit the end of the roll pan? Mins has extension parts and trying to figure out if i need to cut the SMC of the rear bed to match the curve of the pan ends.

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Not sure what you are calling ends... Please note that if you bought your rollpan off of eBay, a lot of them have the rollpan upside down in their pictures.
You must be registered for see images attach

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Have you removed your bumper yet? Look closely at the PIC.. I think what you are calling extensions fit right to the curve of the bed.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you removed your bumper yet? Look closely at the PIC.. I think what you are calling extensions fit right to the curve of the bed.

The end circled has me confused a bit. This piece do you guys just over lap the actual SMC with new roll pan so it sits ontop? Or do you trace the shape on the SMC bed and cut the shape out to match.
I ask because normally I would just overlap, but the metal rollpan on the edge circled has a draft on the back that will not allow it to lay flat without cutting it of.

Not sure what others have done.

sgmbald1

Reaction score
There should not be any overlap... If the rollpan was made properly, it should just fit in just like the picture... How about posting a PIC of your rollpan up against your truck so we can better see what your issue is.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't have the bumper off yet or the pan fitted. I took some pictures of the roll pan ends, please take a look at the draft flange on the pan. You will notice the flange lip wont let the pan lay flat on the SMC bed ends.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so now I understand why the draft angles were not the biggest deal to people. Didn't realize till after I removed the bumper the SMC bedside was cut in that area so it will clear. I installed the rollpan and man what a pain in the ass, and I'm not really to happy with how it came out. I may go back and reshape the ends of the pan more. Will say for anyone doing this on a stepside, get a quality roll pan, not the cheap ****. I bought the cheap **** and it was way off on shape and fitment. I'm pretty OCD so I'm almost positive I will refit this.
Biggest issues are that the overlap on the pan ends is not long enough and when you want to attach to the bed ends you have to get creative on the mounting points. Take a look at the picks.

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Glad to see you finally took the bumper off and gave it a shot. and Yep... That looks just like the one one I have and fits just like mine...