Steering slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think ill try it and if its still bad its my box. all the reviews on boxes ive read have been bad though so idk which to go with

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well the slack between the gears is adjustable pretty easily with an allen head wrench and a regular box wrench(dont remember sizes offhand). Just make sure you turn the wheels lock-to-lock after each adjustment to make sure the gears don't bind in the less worn areas. An eighth turn makes a world of difference when you've gotten the majority of the slack out....but a quarter turn at a time until bind is fine, then even as little as a sixteenth turn backing out will help fine tune it.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i need to put one of these in my truck, i know the rag joint on mine is real weak, i can watch it move when the wheel turns, and the gearbox is just over a year old

i do need a new pump on it though too...ill do all that when i am tearing into it for the sas

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah I was looking at my shaft on my 73 camaro, it has about as much slack as the old ford tractor sitting beside the shop....the same tractor that is dangerous to drive in hi gear on a 2lane road because you're swerving trying to keep it straight. The camaro has EXACT same shaft as our trucks :evillol:

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im gonna see if i cant snag me one in the junkyard this weekend, usually there is a handful of jeeps, maybe one or 2 will have good steering shaft

anyone know what size bolt it is so im not digging through my toolbox to find it

Urban_Legend

Reaction score
I just recently picked up my 93, and the steering is Sloppy!! If this will work for my Truck, its the First thing im looking for when I get a day off!!

Any shaft for the noted years will work?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
84-96 XJ, regular Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. It will work for yours. Great mod for our trucks!