Steering slop won't go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92_Bahama

Reaction score
I have about 4 inches (2 in each direction) of play in my steering. When you have someone shake the wheel the steering shaft moves, goes into the gear box, and then the pitman arm doesn't move what so ever or any other steering component. I have replaced the steering gear box, pitman arm, and rag joint within the last 4 months and still no luck. I had the truck aligned when I had to replace a tie rod end that snapped on me (replace inner, outer, and sleeve) so everything is straight. I am riding on 35's with a 6in ProComp suspension lift so I understand I will never have sports car steering, but it's very annoying when I am driving down the highway chopping at the wheel. I appreciate any input or experience with this before I say f*** it and replace the steering gear box again. Thanks!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sadly with the 95 and up trucks the XJ shaft is a no go. I appreciate the response though!!
IDK what year your truck is, it is not in the original post. I looked into this when I replaced my rag joint about a year ago. Did you rivet the new rag joint, or did you bolt both sides? I have maybe 1/2 inch of play in my steering wheel after I replaced my rag joint, but my truck is a 97, 2WD with OE tires and rims. I bolted both sides of my rag joint. I put 2 new steering boxes in my truck before I changed the rag joint. I did have to trim the bolts and nuts, cutting them at an angle on the steering wheel side. If you look close at the pic, you can see what I did.
You must be registered for see images attach

92_Bahama

Reaction score
I ground out the rivets and replaced it with grad 8 hardware very similarly to what you did. It made the steering feel firmer and maybe took a tiny bit out of the play when i replaced it but I still have like a dead spot in the steering.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you grab the rag joint with your hand and turn it back and forth and the pitman arm isn't moving you have a problem inside the box. If there is no play in the box yet the truck seems to wander you could have a caster problem. When going around a corner at an intersection does the wheel return by itself or do you need to turn it back? If it doesn't return you need to increase your caster angle.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you also replace the idler arm ? They are bad to let go on these trucks and create slop in the steering.

92_Bahama

Reaction score
No I did not, I didn't think it was causing any issues being that it wasn't moving but going back I wish I would've replaced it at the same time as my pitman arm. I might do it and see what happens, cheaper than another gear box right!

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't your gear box have a warranty? If you just Baugh it. New parts does not mean good part.
maybe you could return it and get another one?