Steering Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cartoad

Reaction score
Looking for info I have a 95 k1500 ecsb has anyone put a steering shaft out of a Jeep Cherokee on a 95+ mine has the knuckle inside the cab so not sure it will work any info would be appreciated thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not worth it, from what I have read. First of all, it is not the plug and play swap some people claim it is. More importantly, it is probably not safe. You will end up with an additional, unsupported u-joint which can bind up, locking the shaft. This seems to be one of the most overrated mods commonly suggested for these vehicles. It will also do absolutely nothing to take the slop out of an old steering box or worn components like Pittman and idler arms or bad tie rod ends. If you have play in the shaft it's the rag joint and that's a $15 part and maybe an hour to change.

There is a true, all steel, aftermarket u-joint if you hate the rag joint so much. I think they make them for your '95 but not years later than that. Can't remember the maker offhand but it's like a $250 part.

Cartoad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info been reading up on it for the last 2 weeks and was debating to go that route but I think I will just change the rag joint considering I have a wife that rides and drives it occasionally lol.... thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTS has some detailed threads on the topic.
When I began reading, it sounded like a grand idea, but the feedback from those who did it deterred me from wanting to any more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Flaming River U-joint on your stock shaft, $85 shipped from Summit racing. I just did it to mine. Took about 30 mins with a cutoff wheel. The cheapest SAFE steering mod out there. And it did help a lot but my stock rag joint also had 230,000 miles on it.