Steering problems. Can't figure it out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was specific to one side
Only when turning back to the right and NEVER to the left
Quick unplug to test works
Gear box lash is easy enough to check also Rag joint replace or conversion

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had an issue with a gearbox once where it only got assist in one direction. Ended up replacing gearbox and pump because the gearbox piston teflon seal got chewed up somehow; either the pump threw some junk into the gearbox that tore the seal or vice versa. Either way the pump required replacement too before I got power steering back.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a weird problem with my truck too, it's not the alignment I don't believe because when the steering wheel is straight in park the wheels are dead on too but when I start moving I have to hold the steering wheel as if I'm taking a right curve for it to ride straight but isn't easier to turn either way, both are smooth just does that when I start moving. Not wobbling or anything, I'm pretty good at driving it as such but want it straight. The previous owner said it was checked out and something in the steering column or shaft, not the alignment. Brand New tires also. Not lifted (yet) full stock.

SethT

Reaction score
Consistently pulling to one side is the steering box assuming you don't have excessive playin the any of the steering linkage components, control arm bushings, and ball joints. It's most likely the steering gear.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tires can cause a pull as well. You could swap your front tires from side to side and see if it changes directions. If it does, rotate the tires to the rear.

MikeyHustle

Reaction score
Well here is the list of items Ive replaced trying to figure this issue out.

- ball joints
- inner & outer rod ends
- alignment
- pitman arm
- idler arm
- rotated tires
- 2nd alignment
- power steering speed sensor
- power steering pressure switch

Then I realized that I should look at the back of the truck. And looking closely at the leaf spring bushings.... They were torn up bad. (how embarrassing). I should have realized the truck is nearly 20 years old, lol.

Thank you to everyone that threw ideas at me. I shouldn't have to worry about the front end for a while.. lol