Steering problems. Can't figure it out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyHustle

Reaction score
I can't figure this issue out. I drift when I drive at high speeds. This problem existed prior to lifting the truck. But it's worse after the 6" lift.

I've installed new inner and outer rod ends and ball joints when I lifted it. I thought it was the pitman and or idler arms. But tonight, I inspected them and they're perfect.

The odd thing is that steering left is easier than turning right. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Should I attack the power steering pump? Or the steering box? Which sounds more practical? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Can you turn your wheel without reaction from the steering box (ie; play)? My truck seems to do this a little bit and it seems to be caused by playing in the box.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is alignment or tires. I worked in a tire shop when I was younger and we had a guy bring in a F250 with a similar problem. We noticed a little wear on some of the suspension components and ended up doing over $2000 worth of work rebuilding the whole front suspension. Still had the same problem. Out of frustration we tossed on a new set of tires. Problem immediately went away. The tires were not old and they looked great, but they were the problem. Our shop owner wasn't too happy but he worked it out with the guy.

If everything seems ok, swap out the tires with some you know are good to eliminate that as a variable.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
does the steering feel the same left to right feel when jacked the front wheels off the ground?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Isn't there a little sensor on the steering shaft that fails and makes the steering funny on these trucks?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
sounds like an alignment issue, have it aligned and have them give you the printouts. If castor is 0 or negative it will drift and possibly death wobble (like a shopping cart) at speed. If they will take requests have them adjust castor at the highest possible within factory specs.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't there a little sensor on the steering shaft that fails and makes the steering funny on these trucks?

Yes, and that was my first thought too. But if that were the case then it would just throw everything into full boost at all times, and it wouldn't have any effects like making one way easier to turn than the other.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
That may not always be the case. When my dads was going out it would randomly feel like you hit a patch of ice and you thought you were going to wreck. It acted very strange, we wound up putting that conversion kit on the power steering pump.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've replaced the EVO sensor in my red truck and twice in the Suburban. I'll agree that it does feel very strange and way too easy to turn when it fails, but it just doesn't sound like the case here. I've never noticed easier steering in only one direction when that happens. Intermittent pressure sometimes, but never specific to one side.