Steering difference between 2 1999 Suburbans pretty drastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Im really surprised that they put the EVO on the 1 tons. Wow.

Worst case scenario would be a short bed single cab though. Such a short wheel base, I bet those can be a nightmare to keep straight at speed with a wonky evo

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You just unplug it. I unplugged my 1500 at the column, it would randomly boost the assist at speed with enough steering input. Was a pain in the ass to drive. After a decent alignment, the truck feels OK at full boost. That transition between the 2 was the worst. My 3500 has properly functioning EVO and I love it. Steering has a good amount of resistance without needing to grape ape the thing into a parking spot. I'm in favor of reinstating properly functioning EVO in the 1500 now having never felt it in the 1500.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you bypass the sensor as opposed to just unplugging it?

Either install the bypass kit from GM which eliminates the valve from the PS pump, or install a new or reman pump without the valve. Here's the kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-19168825-Steering-Actuator/dp/B00GV8840I

I think you can grab the lines from a '96 pump as well, should be the same as what's in that kit.

You just unplug it. I unplugged my 1500 at the column, it would randomly boost the assist at speed with enough steering input. Was a pain in the ass to drive. After a decent alignment, the truck feels OK at full boost. That transition between the 2 was the worst. My 3500 has properly functioning EVO and I love it. Steering has a good amount of resistance without needing to grape ape the thing into a parking spot. I'm in favor of reinstating properly functioning EVO in the 1500 now having never felt it in the 1500.

Negatory. What OP is describing is one of the ways that the column sensor can fail. It can be either intermittent, or constant full boost. I've seen both. The latter is the same effect as unplugging the sensor on the column. While I agree that I'd rather have full boost all the time as opposed to the twitchy BS that the intermittent failure causes, I'd much rather remove the valve from the pump and have no more boost at all. (Which based on OP's findings looks to be the outcome of deleting the valve from the pump entirely) I've driven 1500s with the column sensors out of the equation but with the EVO valves on the pumps still intact, and it feels anything but "OK" at full boost all the time to me. Personally I'd recommend either having everything in the EVO system working properly, or removing it entirely.

I think you're the one I had this conversation with before that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to replace the power steering pump on my Tahoe. If using the one with the EVO bypass pipe already installed, do I need to do anything with the sensor on the steering column or just unplug it at the pump and forget about it?

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I was told (by a member here) to just leave the connector unplugged, its obsolete. I zip tied it to something to keep it from dangling.

Truck steers wonderfully now. Feels like a truck should.

On the other hand, my other truck (still 99 Sub) runs full boost constantly. Really, really nice in parking lots. Sucks terribly at any speed over 40. Still has an intact EVO system. Im not sure if the steering sensor is totally shot or what, but it never twitches or jerks the steering. Just smooth, ultralight, scaryass steering lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was told (by a member here) to just leave the connector unplugged, its obsolete. I zip tied it to something to keep it from dangling.

Truck steers wonderfully now. Feels like a truck should.

On the other hand, my other truck (still 99 Sub) runs full boost constantly. Really, really nice in parking lots. Sucks terribly at any speed over 40. Still has an intact EVO system. Im not sure if the steering sensor is totally shot or what, but it never twitches or jerks the steering. Just smooth, ultralight, scaryass steering lol

Yup, that's almost definitely a bad sensor on the column.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered a reman Delco pump from RockAuto. Are they supposed to have residual power steering fluid in them?

Guess I figured they would have been cleaned out or something.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok SO
Now I feel bad
My truck has been like this for a while and I made a bypass to fix this issue.
And I haven’t finished my second part to the mod
But I will explain it

First off the connector on the EVO sensor side cut it off
Not the dash harness but the EVO pug tail cut it off
Solder the two outside wires to the end of a 20k Resistor then solder the other side to the center wire. This adds the resistance the sensor should add.
This eliminates over boost
Also eliminates the twitch you get at high speeds BUT if you have monster tires it kills the ease that over boost gave.
My second stage idea was to run a switch through the middle wire so that it opens the circuit allowing the over boost back.
This would work great in parking lots and “dry steer” situations.
It’s like power steering assist on demand!
Just been busy
Tossed some pics in for reference .

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GLHF