Steering components drenched in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After my 92 being wrecked, i went out and bought a 97. As you know, every craigslist buy will come with its problems. Truck ran well. All i could see it needing was tires and an alignment. I didnt really care about oil leaks. I see the the truck leaked some oil, but it was leaking at an odd location that wasn't near the oil pan area where i usually see most of my leaks. I look under and all of the steering components are covered in oil. I look over to what seems to be the steering box. That looked pretty dry. Maybe a leaking power steering pump?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it oil or power steering fluid? Clean it up and see if you can spot the leak.

Oil cooler line leaks are common, look at hoses between the oil filter adapter and radiator.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agreed with east302. check oil cooler lines. but could also be power steering fluid, the pressure line commonly leaks

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Also agree on the cooler lines. Mine have done nothing but gave me hell. I am going to make custom ones when it warms back up.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also agree on the cooler lines. Mine have done nothing but gave me hell. I am going to make custom ones when it warms back up.
Made my own using some AN fittings and line.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Never thought about taping into the original radiator fittings like that. Almost looks factory.