Steering Box Upgrade/Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 99 steering box have that EVO steering problem feature? I'll have to see if you can bypass it somehow. I would love to move the turn radius from my 97 Tahoe into my 90 c1500...

Yes it does, and it takes higher pressure to use that box that's why the steering is so much better ( or is it ) ..........On the other hand I just swapped mine from 97 to a 96 PS pump-box and lines and its soooooo much better..( Firmer ) I deleted the EVO BS

GM put out a delete kit because the EVO sucks so bad

RATFOOD

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should get a 96 steering box and lines to put in the 90 c1500 and all will be well, thanks!

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only had to change my lines because they changed in 97.... And I went back a year sooooo.....

Sent from my Ground pounding fire breathing Dragon of the IMCA Modified IPhone

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, if im reading this right, 98-99 2wd suburban/tahoe box (2wd) is a direct bolt in to my 95 (2wd) and has a quicker ratio, better feel, and a little more syeering angle for tighter turn radius. Same pump and lines and everything?

My box started leaking right after i just put in brand new lines and pump.....

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, if im reading this right, 98-99 2wd suburban/tahoe box (2wd) is a direct bolt in to my 95 (2wd) and has a quicker ratio, better feel, and a little more syeering angle for tighter turn radius. Same pump and lines and everything?

My box started leaking right after i just put in brand new lines and pump.....

There are several part numbers for the Saginaw gear boxes, here’s a discussion that goes into more specifics...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t1090124-k1500_steering_box_upgrade.html

RedHead offers a box for 88-96 and one for 97-99. The case is the same, so the difference must be in the internals. You might give them a call and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk